Schafer talks budget, goals with Student Senate

Interim President Ed Schafer addressed UND Student Senate last week Wednesday. 

Photo by Nick Nelson/The Dakota Student

Last Wednesday, UND Interim President Ed Schafer met with Student Senate at their first weekly meeting of the semester to touch base with them and explain his goals for UND.

Schafer spoke about his past attendance at UND as an undergraduate starting in 1964 for business. After graduating, Schafer moved to New York, and while at first he was shy about telling people he was from North Dakota, he came to embrace what he had learned from his home state

“What I learned over time was the respect and care and understanding of the leaders that came out of North Dakota,” Schafer explained. 

Schafer explained that he is interested in in the policies that the senate is putting forward and also being mindful of what students are thinking about.

“Our administration, I hope, will be able to learn what you have to put on the table,” Schafer said

“The first focus is the budget. With the $5 million shortfall, the state might allocate appropriated revenue because the state is short too,” Schafer said when talking about his focus during his time as interim president. “My plan is to shape the budget to strengthen the university.”

Schafer views getting the budget in order as something that is fundamental to ensuring other aspects of the university function properly.

“Five years from now we want the university to have a solid budget to make a solid UND,” Schafer continued. “Budget drives all other things like policies, management, culture-expenditures of dollars are what presents all of the culture happenings on campus.”

Schafer stressed that there are other issues that need to be addressed around campus in addition to just the budget shortfall.

“This university has been limping along for some time because of the nickname change,” Schafer said. “How do you develop a culture, when you don’t even know what the nickname or logo is?”

Schafer has been in this situation before, only as governor of North Dakota. He said when he was elected as Governor in 1992, North Dakota was in a difficult position. People were leaving to find jobs elsewhere, and most people were not happy with the direction the state was going. 

“One of the things that came apparent was that if you focus on priorities and you find out where the strengths and the excellence takes place, that will help you solve the problem,” Schafer said.

In closing, Schafer thanked the Student Senate for the work that they do for the university. 

“I appreciate your service. I do really appreciate the work that you do,” Schafer said as  He also made sure explained his ultimate goal for his time as interim president at UND: to build a high functioning, sound institution that gives students a quality education when they come here.

After Schafer concluded his speech, the senate was updated on the presidential search. 

“The numbers have been narrowed down from 41 to 15 candidates. They are very well qualified applicants,” Student Body President Matt Kopp said. “We will stop recruiting candidates when we go to Minneapolis to start interviewing.”

Once Minneapolis interviews are complete, 3-6 candidates will be invited to campus. The student senate will continue to send out updates to students and faculty on the presidential search as important information comes out.

Journey Gontjes is a staff writer for  The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]