The Chester Fritz Auditorium Hosts Special Olympics North Dakota

With vibrant costumes and spirited performances, local celebrities and dance instructors took the stage at Chester Fritz Auditorium on April 16 for “Dancing for Special Stars,” an annual event modeled after the hit TV show “Dancing with the Stars.” The fundraiser that is vital for Special Olympics North Dakota (SOND), ensuring their athletes can compete without financial burden.  

Nancy Hanson, President and CEO of SOND, emphasized the event’s importance. “We receive no state or federal funding, so fundraisers like this are vital for us,” she explained. The event, now in its 14th year, has grown significantly, moving to the Chester Fritz Auditorium for the first time to accommodate more attendees and enhance fundraising efforts.  

Hanson explained that the funds raised allow the organization to cover all expenses for the athletes, including practice facilities, uniforms, equipment and travel costs for competitions. “We charge no participation fee, so it costs our athletes nothing to participate with us,” Hanson stated, highlighting the inclusive nature of the Special Olympics.  

SOND operates various programs across the state with offices in Grand Forks and activities as far as Minot and Dickinson. These programs include diverse sports such as soccer, bocce, bowling, basketball and winter games, each held in different cities to promote regional participation.  

Community involvement is the backbone of the organization’s success. “It takes hundreds of volunteers to put on a state tournament,” she noted. Post-pandemic volunteer engagement has been challenging, yet Hanson remains optimistic about community support. She passionately discussed the joy and communal spirit volunteering brings, “if you can give me an hour, I promise you’re going to leave with a smile on your face, and you’re going to want to come back again.”  

Volunteers play various roles from event-day assistance to more involved positions like coaching or partnering in sports. Hanson is particularly keen on involving students, noting the mutual benefits of volunteering. “Volunteering with us not only looks good on a resume, but it also offers a chance to make meaningful connections and gain a new perspective on life,” she remarked.  

Looking to the future, Hanson is ambitious about expanding the reach of SOND. Currently, the organization serves only 10% of the eligible population in North Dakota. Her goal is to increase this to at least 50%. “For me, I want to… gain awareness across the state…  and I’d love to see us continue to grow and expand,” she said, wanting to one day provide athletes with experiences similar to a professional setting. “That’s what our athletes deserve too,” she said, recognizing their talent and wanting her athletes to have their chance to shine.   

Support from community members and celebrities is crucial. Hanson praised individuals like Kay Derry and Michelle Hajicek for their exceptional efforts in promoting the event and raising funds. “Their work has been instrumental in increasing awareness and support for our cause,” she added.  

“Dancing for Special Stars” raises funds and awareness, fostering a deeper connection between the athletes and the community. As the event continues to grow, it promises more opportunities and experiences for athletes, significantly contributing to the legacy and impact of SOND.   

If you want to volunteer for the Special Olympics North Dakota, visit specialolympicsnd.org. 

Davíd Moreno is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at daví[email protected].