A Grand Night for Grand Awards

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

On Tuesday, April 9, the Grand Awards were held in the Prohibition Hall in East Grand Forks. It is an event celebrating local entrepreneurship, highlighting the community’s innovative spirit and business acumen. Hosted by Blue Weber, the ceremony, characterized by its informal tone and interactive elements, promoted the night’s purpose of honoring the innovative minds whose business ventures have significantly impacted the Greater Grand Forks community. 

Michelle Hajicek, owner of Darcy’s Cafe, was recognized with the “True Grit Award” for her unwavering dedication and resilience, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Her acceptance speech highlighted her deep commitment to the community. “I truly love the community that I live in,” Hajicek stated, acknowledging the collective effort that has supported local businesses through challenging times. 

Kay Derry, owner of Northern Roots Boutique, received the “Social Impact Award” for her extensive community service and mentorship. Her emotional response furthered the award’s significance. “It’s all about community… every day, you’ve got to look in the mirror and say, what are you doing it for,” Derry said, emphasizing the motivation behind her efforts. 

Phil Gisi of Edgewood Management Group was honored with the “Deep Roots Award” celebrating his long-standing contributions across multiple sectors, including healthcare and hospitality. Gisi shared his secret to success. “I dream up some really cool stuff,” he said. “Then I hire the right people and get out of the way.”  

Sadie Gardner of 322 Hospitality Group was awarded the “Sky’s the Limit Award” for her innovative hospitality projects. Allison Johnson accepted the award on Gardner’s behalf, conveying her gratitude and excitement for future endeavors that promise to leave a lasting impact on the community. 

Rachael Eider of RH Standard received the “Trailblazer Award,” celebrating her behind-the-scenes work and her role as an inspiring female entrepreneur. The award recognized her for over a decade of operation and influence on other business owners. 

The Urban Stampede’s Justin Auch and Jonathan Holth were celebrated with the “Forkin’ Grand Award,” highlighting their significant contribution to maintaining the community’s unique character. Their partnership formed over many years, and the purchase of the Urban Stampede occurred over four text messages and a Zoom call during the pandemic to save the vital community gathering spot. This duo demonstrated the resilience and adaptability that exemplify Grand Forks’ entrepreneurial spirit. 

Kevin Hatcher, a key figure behind the scenes, said when discussing the event, “we’re gaining momentum, building upon what’s been established to make this event a success.” His passion for celebrating risk-takers in the entrepreneurial landscape who contribute significantly to the community was evident. “We’re extremely appreciative of those risks and the impact that they’re making because it’s what makes a vibrant community,” Hatcher added, highlighting the broader goal of the Grand Awards, which is to acknowledge the gamble and grit behind every entrepreneurial venture. 

Beyond acknowledging individual achievements, the Grand Awards emphasize the collective effort and community support that fuel Grand Forks’ business. Each awardee’s story reflected a shared commitment to innovation, resilience, and social impact, underscoring the importance of celebrating these contributions annually and daily. 

Davíd Moreno is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at daví[email protected].