College of Engineering and Mines hosts dean’s tour of renovation

On Friday Oct. 9, the College of Engineering and Mines hosted a Dean’s Tour of the new renovations inside the building. A small crowd of students, alumni and faculty gathered in the hallway outside of the new student study space on the second floor of Upson II Hall for the tour.

Various renovations have been made in the Upson II engineering building Hall, including a new study room, improved laboratories and classrooms and expanded computer labs.

To begin the ceremony, UND President Robert Kelly officially dedicated the new study space by cutting the green UND ribbon that was held across its entrance by current students. The new study space is dedicated to the seniors who won’t be able to utilize the new Colaberative Energy Complex when it’s  completed, which is currently undergoing construction not far from Upson II.

President Kelly spoke to the audience regarding the construction and renovating in the engineering department, saying, “We are not just doing this because it’s fun for us, we have a responsibility to reach out past the University of North Dakota to the state and even the country.”

Dr. Hesham El-Rewini, the dean of the College of Engineering and Mines, led the grand tour, starting with the various laboratory improvements.

The mechanical engineering lab featured new “clean room” capabilities to minimize the effects of engineering on the environment. Upon entering, El-Rewini addressed the condition of the lab six months before the renovation, jokingly saying it was a “dark and spooky place that you don’t want to be.” However, there are now significant improvements in the lab.

The lab for the biomedical engineering department also obtained new equipment, including an innovative sleep lab for studies on sleep apnea. The new lab will also be used in collaboration with UND’s medical school and aerospace programs.

Previously, the classrooms in Upson II brought students into a traditional classroom environment with rows of desks and a chalkboard. However, after the renovations, it is now considered an active learning classroom. Students will now be able to utilize an open learning environment.

One of the goals was to encourage group collaboration among students in class, so instead of rows of desks, the classroom now features tables in a small group setting. This layout helps the faculty members reach students more easily if they have questions or need assistance.

The chemical engineering lab, originally filled with equipment from the 1950s, underwent many changes to bring the lab up to date with current technology.

The old computer lab had originally consisted of only 16 computers, but now computers fill the entire room. Dr. Brian Tande, an associate professor and chairman of the chemical engineering department, said the new computer labs and study areas of the department promote a family atmosphere for the student in between classes.

The final segment on the dean’s tour was the ongoing construction of the Collaborative Energy Complex. The building will feature brand new classrooms and labs, as well as a student success center that all UND students can utilize. Progress on the project was reported to be steady.

Many students and faculty have heard the noises of the construction process during the day, but final completion of the project will be a major contribute to campus. When asked what his favorite renovation is, El-Rewini said that he does not have one specific favorite part. “As long as the students can have a great experience using the new resources and the new building, then I am happy,” El-Rewini said.

The Collaborative Energy Complex is projected to be completed by summer of 2016.

Journey Gontjes is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]