UND teams up with SkyWest

UND flight school Cessna. File photo.

UND is know across the globe for its aviation program. Graduating from the John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences used to mean a guaranteed job for commercial pilots. Over the years, UND has worked with airlines to help students get hired after graduation.

On Sept. 23, UND and SkyWest airlines announced another partnership to provide students with an opportunity to become a first officer. The pilot cadet program is similar to programs used by many airlines do to help fill open positions for pilots. SkyWest looked to UND because of its long history and its well known flight school.

SkyWest is a regional airline that now runs flights out of major cities from the midwest to the west coast. UND and SkyWest are excited to provide this opportunity to students in the aviation program. Students must obtain a commercial pilot certificate and a certified flight instructor certificate before applying to the cadet program.

If a student is accepted into the program, both UND and SkyWest will mentor the student to help them along the path toward becoming a first officer. Students in the program will also receive a retained hire date and be able to participate in SkyWest recruiting events and outreach programs.

The cadet pilot program does not guarantee students a job as a first officer, however students are able to have a final interview for the position. UND and Skywest are excited to provide students with this opportunity and help students become a pilot after graduation.

Parker Payne is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].