Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UND Communication Appreciation Day Showcases the Success of the Department

Aspen Jewkes

The Memorial Union was booming with students, faculty, and alumni on April 25 where people were reuniting with old friends and making new ones. The University of North Dakota’s Department of Communication hosted their annual celebration of Communication Appreciation Day last Thursday, but there was something special about this year’s event.  

It was the Centennial Celebration in honor of 100 years of the UND Department of Communication. It was a day full of history and festivities that will be remembered for another 100 years.  

Kicking off the day was a photo exhibition and communication class showcase being displayed throughout the entire day. Before the first official event started at 2 p.m., opening remarks were made by President Andrew Armacost where he congratulated and praised the department’s impact on UND.

Vice President for Academic Affairs, Eric Link, also made some opening remarks of his own making the audience roar with laughter. Next, Dean Brad Rundquist of the College of Arts & Sciences was invited up to the stage to bring attention to the Journalism Program coming back to UND next fall, thank the alumni for coming back for the momentous event, and congratulate the department.  

Lastly, alumni, John Bergstrom, and undergraduate student, Taylor Hess, presented a slideshow on the history of the Communication Department highlighting the seven dimensions throughout the 100 years of UND Communication history including leadership, opportunity, learning beyond the classroom, resiliency, innovation, support and vision. A department history video was also shared by photographer, videographer and undergraduate student, Tieler Friedline.  

Finally, the UND Department of Communication Chair, Soojung Kim, introduced the guest speaker, Mike Nowatzki, who delivered the annual Hagerty Lecture on contemporary media issues. The lecture is in honor of Jack Hagerty who was an esteemed journalist in the community.  

Nowatzki is currently the Communications Director for the Office of the Governor, but he has roots here at UND where he received his bachelor’s degree in journalism and worked in the newspaper industry for almost two decades as a reporter.  

Nowatzki titled his presentation “Just the Facts: Observations from the “dark side” on the demise of objectivity in journalism.” He expressed that he was reluctant at first because he had been out of the news business for about several years, but his skills and practices shined through in his role in communications for the government.  

“We need more trained journalists in North Dakota who are invested in our state… and care about writing for their communities,” he said. “Journalism is more important now than ever; people need accurate information they can use to discern the truth and make informed decisions.” 

Nowatzki brought awareness to recent objectivity, impartiality and bias in news that raises concerns within the industry, but he has hope for the future of journalism and for the students at UND.  

“We are human, and we have biases; it does not make us bad people… but the point is we do not need to surrender to our biases,” he said. “In storytelling, it matters who is telling the story… perception of objectivity is just as important as objectivity itself in maintaining the public trust in this age of electronic communication.”  

Concluding his lecture, Nowatzki said his thank you’s before the event shifted into the networking and scholarship ceremony. The Department of Communication awarded over $40,000 in scholarships to its students. There were a handful of donors that were able to present their awards personally to the recipients, making that time much more special.  

Following the ceremony was a department tour of O’Kelly Hall before the dinner reception that evening. Attendees had to RSVP ahead of time to reserve a spot for themselves and a guest. The Greater Grand Forks String Quartet was performing in the background of the dinner, creating a soft ambience in the room that felt welcoming.  

There was a cash bar and several display tables after dinner during the evening party where students, faculty and alumni could continue to socialize and catch up with peers and old friends

The UND Department of Communication supplies endless opportunities for its students and endless chances for its alumni to stay involved. The Journalism Program is coming back this upcoming fall, and the Department is hard at work, trying to promote and encourage students interested in the field.  

Kelsie Hildebrand is the Dakota Student Editor-in-Chief. She can be reached at [email protected] 

Aspen Jewkes
Aspen Jewkes
Aspen Jewkes