First nonprofit fair held at UND

UND students were invited to take a peek at what local nonprofits have to offer earlier this week at the university’s first nonprofit opportunity fair.

Held at the Memorial Union on campus last Thursday, the event allowed local nonprofit organizations to connect with students and share volunteer and internship opportunities.

The fair saw a good number of organizations show up to connect with students.

Many of the representatives for different organizations seemed thrilled that UND had set up the opportunity fair.

They said being able to talk directly with students living in Grand Forks is a great way to share the ways students can become involved with their organization.

Students were greeted with a smile and a plethora of information about ways to be involved.

The event allowed students to see a number of opportunities available to them in Grand Forks.

One of the students attending the non-profit opportunity fair was Allison Batt. She was excited UND has set up this opportunity for students, like herself, who want to get involved with a non-profit organization.

“Having a way to get in front of someone who can possibly help you get a job later on is something that needs to be taken advantage of,” Batt said.

Many students attending the fair seemed eager to meet potential employers and make a good first impression.

Most college students looking to land an internship are not provided with a way to get first impression. most college students looking to land an internship are not provided with a way to get in front of an organization until they have an interview.

“I didn’t know there were so many non-profits in Grand Forks looking to hire students,” Batt said.

Before UND set up the opportunity fair, students had little way of talking directly with organizations in town. The opportunity fair not only helped students but also the community groups get their names out there and potentially attract students to get involved.

For the students that attended the fair, several said they are hoping that getting in front of group leaders will prove beneficial.

Parker Payne is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].