Driver, student die in Larimore bus crash

Emergency vehicles respond to the bus crash near Larimore, N.D. Photo courtesy of The Grand Forks Herald.

On Jan. 5 near Larimore, N.D., a school bus collided with a train killing the bus driver, one student and leaving others injured.

The bus driver, who also was a teacher at Larimore High School, was bringing students home after one of the first school days of the new year. The fatal bus crash was not the first in North Dakota history, Valley News Live reported, finding eight other accidents with four of them happening near Larimore.

The North Dakota Highway Patrol described the details of the crash in a statement. The bus was traveling on a gravel road and was struck by a BNSF train on the passenger side near the doors to the bus. The 62-year-old bus driver Max Danner, and 17-year-old Cassidy Sandstrom were killed after being struck by the train.

UND President Robert Kelly issued a statement to the university the day after the fatal crash extending his condolences to the families affected by the tragic accident.

“The University of North Dakota community is greatly saddened by the tragic accident that took place Monday near Larimore”, Kelley said.

In the message he made it clear to students and faculty that there are resources on campus to help with the grieving process.

The news of the tragic crash has gathered national attention and many people have been using the hashtag #LarimoreStrong on Twitter to show their support.

As of now all of those injured in the accident have been released from the hospital. The town of Larimore is slowly recovering from the tragedy that claimed the lives of two of their residents.

Parker Payne is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].