UND Aviation Explores UAS in San Diego

UND Aviation Explores UAS in San Diego
Davíd Moreno

The AUVSI Xponential Conference in San Diego, California is a significant event in the aviation industry. It provided a unique platform for a delegation from the University of North Dakota; the conference offered attendees, including students and staff from various University departments, the chance to engage with industry leaders, explore employment opportunities, and gain invaluable insights into the future of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). 

Companies like Lockheed Martin, startups like DroneUP, and North Dakota’s own Northern Plains UAS Test Site, along with a medley of both public and private sector companies, are all coming together to continue building the new generation of flight.  

Paul Snyder, Director of the UAS Operations Program at UND and a lead for RIAS (Resource Institute for Autonomous Systems), highlighted the conference’s role in demonstrating the rapid growth of UAS within the broader aviation sector. Snyder described AUVSI Xponential as a melting pot for professionals to network, discuss product innovations, and connect with potential employers. 

“The benefit of being here is that it connects with different companies we’re already working with,” Snyder explained. He noted that the event facilitates direct discussions about the types of skills and roles companies seek, which inform academic curricula to better meet industry needs and support students. 

The conference also served as an educational experience, allowing faculty members to attend workshops to enhance their teaching capabilities and understand industry trends. “It’s about growing to be better educators and seizing additional opportunities,” Snyder said. The discussions and workshops allow faculty to pinpoint specific areas where they can contribute to industry knowledge through research and publications. 

UND’s decision to include students in their delegation reflects a strategic approach to educational enrichment. Brady Dvorak, a student attendee, expressed the conference’s value, saying, “it’s just been a good experience for students to learn about the industry, about different opportunities, and just kind of develop professionally.”  

Another student, Tracy Mitchell, appreciated the exposure to different aspects of unmanned aviation and said, “ seeing different realms that we’re also not exposed to like the cyber security realm, and specifically space is huge. I haven’t been exposed to that in Grand Forks, so adding on to the experiences that I’ve had at UND with this conference is unreal.” 

Dvorak also highlighted the broader implications of their participation. “The push of us North Dakotans or North Dakota as a state trying to grow has been a big part of this,” he said. “It’s cool that the University allowed us to come to really try and just learn and help develop the future of UAS.” 

Snyder was particularly enthusiastic about the opportunities for students to interact directly with industry professionals. Students learned about current industry challenges and were tasked with writing papers on their experiences to integrate practical knowledge with their academic studies. 

“Having students here is such a benefit,” Snyder remarked. “They get a firsthand understanding of the industry, which is crucial for their professional development.” 

Looking ahead, Snyder emphasized the importance of platforms like LinkedIn for students to stay informed about industry trends and opportunities. Snyder plans to continue advocating for students to be involved, mentioning the UAS summit in October as an upcoming event that students should watch. It will provide another chance to engage deeply with the UAS community. He also noted that it is open to students of all disciplines, allowing them to experience an industry outside their field of study.  

The AUVSI Xponential conference set the stage for the University community’s education, networking, and professional growth. As the UAS industry continues to evolve, the insights gained from these conferences are invaluable in preparing the next generation of professionals to lead the way. As Snyder aptly put it, “every year, it keeps growing… it’s a lot of opportunity for students to get plugged in.” 

Davíd Moreno is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at daví[email protected].