The 2024 Feast of Nations

Each year, the University of North Dakota and their student-led International Organization host an event that celebrates culture and diversity from all around the world. This event started as a small gathering for students to share their culture through different foods and has developed into something much larger. On March 23, the 62nd Annual Feast of Nations took place at the Alerus Center with its new theme “Kaleidoscope of Cultures.” Each year, a new theme is picked, but this year was meant to “celebrate the magnificence of our world’s cultural mosaic and the harmonious coexistence of people from every corner of the world.” The experience was a beautiful night of culture filled with immersive learning experiences, great food, and beautiful performances.   

The night began with a red-carpet entrance where you would then begin to enter the venue to find a hallway filled with different flags from all over the world. Inside the room was a massive stage, beautifully set tables, and in the corner, there were different tables for guests to learn more about the diverse cultures being celebrated that night. Shortly after finding your seat is when the show officially began, and it was during the performances that you got to enjoy each course of the meal as they came out one by one. These dishes included flavors from Bangladesh, Mexico, Italy, and Canada.  

The food was just a small part of the amazing experience. The show began with hosts, Precious Dada and Jay Singh Sankhla, opening the show. Then there were opening remarks from members of the International Organization and President Andrew Armacost.  

Then, the performances began. These performances ranged from intricate dances to music ensembles, and each one was equally captivating. Seeing the passion for sharing their culture that each individual performer had was truly inspiring. To name a few, there was the Druzhba Ukrainian Dance Ensemble, who shared their traditional dance style and showed their strength through flipping and spinning around stage, and the All Star Afro Dancers who had a range of ages and incredible talent as a part of their group.   

Once the Pouding Chomeur was brought out, the show began to come to an end and shift into the after party. This was the time where DJ EASY-B came out and got everyone up on their feet to dance and interact with one another. Everyone, including students, families, and children, were all thrilled to get up and dance until the event eventually concluded.  

The Feast of Nations is an essential component to the culture and diversity of students here at UND and will continue to grow as our community continues to support it. This event brings together people, far and wide, from all cultures to learn and unite with one another. It is a beautiful and unique experience and is something that we should be proud of. 

Nora Lee is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]