Veterans Fair held in Union

A display set up at the Veterans Fair held Tuesday. Photo by Chester Beltowski/The Dakota Student.

UND celebrated Veterans Day early by holding a Veterans Fair to giving military personnel an opportunity to meet various organizations  on Nov. 6.

“The Veterans Fair really helps to promote the variety of veteran services throughout the area that are available to not only the students, but the general public as well,” said James Becks of the Veterans Educational Training.

The Veterans Fair has been a part of UND for four years.

Seventeen local agencies from around the area were available to assist and answer any questions with veteran issues.

Some of the different agencies were the Fargo Veterans Affairs Health Care System, which has been a local business in Fargo since 1929. VAMC Fargo has been improving the health of 89,000 men and women who have so proudly served the nation living in North Dakota, Minnesota and South Dakota.

UND Veterans & Military Services liaison Carol Anson also had a booth there.  The UND Veterans & Military Services serves to help any veteran with their benefits and school status, deployed military for military activation and to help with taking online or correspondence courses while stationed or deployed.  It also offers education assistance for survivors and dependents of a veteran or military personnel.

TRIO, a federally-funded college opportunity program that motivates and support students from disadvantaged backgrounds in their pursuit of a college degree to help over 850,000 students worldwide. TRIO programs provide academic tutoring, personal counseling, mentoring, financial guidance and other supports necessary for educational access and retention. The programs also provide direct support services for students, and relevant training for directors and staff.

Veterans Educational Training, whichalso is a TRIO program, is a state funded project to help military veterans prepare for and to North Dakota veterans and VA education benefits such as the GI Bill, Post 9/11 and Vocational Rehabilitation may be applicable.

Disabled American Veterans is made up of men and women disabled while on duty, and is dedicated to one single purpose: Building better lives for all of our nation’s disabled veterans and their families.

DAV of Grand Forks provides volunteers at Grand Forks VA clinic, funeral services for any veteran, Memorial Day and Veterans Day programs, participation in local parades and an annual chapter picnic for veterans and families.

DAV also helps returning veterans transition back to civilian life by linking them with services that address their physical, emotional and financial needs. It provides free, professional assistance to veterans of all generations in obtaining VA and other government benefits.

Colin Johnson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].