Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UND Men’s Basketball Team Changes

Reggie Thomas

Since the UND men’s basketball team’s season ended at the hands of Frankie Fidler and the Omaha Mavericks, the Fighting Hawks have seen a lot of players come and go through the transfer portal. Let us take a look at some of the guys that have departed Grand Forks, and some of the guys who will be wearing the green and white in November. 

Departures: BJ Omot, Tyree Ihenacho, Daniel Hong 

BJ Omot led UND in scoring this past season, putting up 16.7 points per game. Omot logged 4.2 rebounds per game and played 35 minutes a night for the Fighting Hawks. The Mankato native earned First Team All-Summit League honors as a sophomore. After the season ended, Omot declared for the transfer portal. On April 15, the former Hawk announced that he would be joining the University of California, Berkely Golden Bears. The Golden Bears will be leaving the disbanded Pac-12 and join the ACC this upcoming season. 

Tyree Ihenacho ran the show for Paul Sather’s Hawks this past season. The point guard led UND in assists with 3.9 per game. Ihenacho was named a member of the Second Team All-Summit League Team following the season. Following the Hawks demise, Ihenacho declared that he would be entering the transfer portal for the third time in his collegiate career. In April, Ihenacho announced that he is joining the Wyoming Cowboys of the Mountain West Conference for his final year of eligibility. 

Daniel Hong only appeared in 11 games for UND this past season but played a key role in the team’s culture. Once the season concluded, the Illinois native announced that he would be joining the University of Mary Marauders of the NCAA Division II. 

Incoming Transfers: Reggie Thomas, Dariyus Woodson 

Reggie Thomas is a 6’1” guard from Hastings College of the NAIA. At Hastings, Thomas won Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) Freshman of the Year two seasons ago. In his second year, Thomas was named a NAIA First Team All American and won GPAC Player of the Year. Thomas scored 24.1 points per game and shot nearly 51% from beyond the arc. 

Dariyus Woodson, standing at 6’7”, played for the Tyler Junior College Apaches, located in Texas. Woodson played for two seasons at the JUCO level. This past season Woodson scored 14.3 points per game for the Apaches and started 30 games. 

Photo courtesy of @reggiethomas10.

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student Section Editor. He can be reached at [email protected]