Trump’s first 100 days

Liz Kacher, Staff Writer

The presidential election of 2016 came to a stunning end as Donald Trump found his path to victory over his opponent, Hillary Clinton. Despite a substantial number of polls which projected Clinton as the winner, Donald Trump has been given the chance to “Make America Great Again.”

In October, Trump announced his plans he intends to accomplish during his first 100 days in office. Trump considered his 100 day plan is a contract between himself and the American voter. He said he aims to restore honesty, accountability and change to Washington.

Trump said his administration will pursue six specific measures to “clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington D.C.”

His first measure will propose imposing term limits on all members of Congress as a Constitutional amendment. However, some legislators aren’t in favor of what Trump proposes.

According to Amita Kelly, NPR Politics Editor, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said “it will not be on the agenda in the Senate” and “I would say we have term limits now — they’re called elections.”

The first legislative measure Trump aims to complete is what he calls the Middle Class Tax Relief and Simplification Act

Constitutional amendments need to be proposed by congress or a constitutional convention.

The second measure in Trump’s plan proposes “a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety and public health).”

Trump says the third measure will be “a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated.”

A five year ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service is fourth on Trump’s list of measures he aims to accomplish in those first 100 days.

Brian Naylor, a Washington Desk Correspondent at NPR, says Trump’s proposal of a five year ban on senior White House officials from becoming lobbyists has been approved by those government groups who have criticized the government to corporate lobbyist transition.

The sixth measure also involves lobbyists as Trump proposes a “lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.”

Trump’s speech about his 100 day plan continued with a series of announcements about his immediate actions that will take place first during his presidency to protect American workers.

Trump’s next announcement in his 100 day plan was about his intention to “renegotiate NAFTA or withdrawal from the deal under Article 2205.” He also intends to announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).

Following the withdrawal from the TPP, Trump’s next announcements was that he will direct the “Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately.”

Trump’s next intentions were directed towards the U. N.  He intends on cancelling the billions in payments toward the U.N. climate change programs and instead use the money to improve environmental infrastructure and America’s water.

Trump’s next announcement was about lifting the existing restrictions regarding the production of $50 trillion dollars’ worth of job-producing American energy reserves, like oil, clean coal and natural gas.

The last announcement was Trump’s intention to lift the “Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects to move forward.”

The next portion of Trump’s speech about his first 100 days was about “five actions he intends to take to restore security and the constitutional rule of law.”

Trump says he will “cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama.”

His next action was to start a process of finding a replacement he deemed suitable for Justice Scalia from a list compiled of 20 judges who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States.

The next course of action on Trump’s agenda was to cancel federal funding to sanctuary cities. During his first 100 days in office, he wants to start removing the more than two million criminal, illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that refuse to take them back.

Trump’s next set of goals regards “working with Congress to introduce the following broader legislative measure and fight for their passage within the first 100 days of his administration.”

The first legislative measure Trump aims to complete is what he calls the Middle Class Tax Relief and Simplification Act which Trump projects will create at least “25 million new jobs through massive tax reduction and simplification, in combination with trade reform, regulatory relief, and lifting the restrictions on American energy.”

The second measure is to end the Offshoring Act which will discourage companies from relocating their headquarters to other countries and then to ship their products back to the United States.

The American Energy and Infrastructure Act is Trump’s next legislative measure he aims to complete. It will use tax incentives to spur $1 trillion in infrastructure investment over a period of 10 years.

School choice is another legislative measure Trump is proposing. He wants to redirect education dollars to allow parents to send their child to public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice.

Another goal of Trump’s legislative measures is the Repeal and replace Obamacare. It will fully repeal Obamacare and replace it with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines and control of Medicaid funds is given to the states.

The Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act that Trump proposes, will allow Americans to deduct childcare and eldercare from their taxes and gives employers an incentive to offer on-side childcare services.

Safety and national security are important to Trump’s list of legislative measures within his plan of the first 100 days. He plans on restoring Community Safety Act, which reduces surging crime and violence. He also plans on restoring the National Security Act, which rebuilds our military by ‘eliminating the defense sequester and expanding military investment.’

Trump’s last legislative goal for his first 100 days includes the Clean-up Corruption in Washington Act which will ‘enact new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce influence of special interests on our politics.’

Trump will take office in a little more than two months, and he’s got a list of goals that he is ready to complete. Come Friday Jan. 20, 2017, Donald J. Trump will be inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States of America.

Liz Kacher is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]