University announces nickname instructions

UND sent out an email this week containing the link students must use to vote in the upcoming nickname vote. 

Students need to keep the email with the link in order to participate in the voting process.

The voting period begins on Monday, Oct. 19, at 8:00 a.m. and closes on 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 23. In order to vote during this time, students must access the link in the email.  Students may only select one of the 5 potential nickname choices: Fighting Hawks, North Stars, Nodaks, Roughriders and Sundogs.

In the event no nickname reaches the 50 percent threshold, there will be a run-off between the top two nicknames. Instructions will be released by UND in the future if this vote is necessary to determine the final choice.

UND staff, faculty, students, retirees, alumni, donors and current season ticket holders are all eligible to vote for the new nickname.

Separate instructions will be sent out for other groups involved in the nickname vote.

The link contained in the email will not be operational until the voting time. If students are experiencing technical difficulties, they are encouraged to call UND’s help line at (701) 777-2731.

According to UND’s website, the voting process is being conducted by Qualtrics, an online survey technology company with more than 7,000 customers in 75 counties. They conducted a total of over one billion surveys in 2014.

Students are encouraged to monitor their student email accounts for further updates.

Staff Report