Economic Developers Visit Grand Forks

Mark Malisky

From April 30 to May 2, the Economic Development Association of North Dakota (EDND) hosted its Spring 2024 conference at the Olive Ann Hotel’s Cloud 9 Events venue, focusing on the theme “Elevate, Innovate, Celebrate.” The event drew industry professionals statewide to discuss the diversification and growth of North Dakota’s economy through innovative practices in Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), workforce development and public-private partnerships.

The conference kicked off with a deep dive into North Dakota’s growing UAS sector. Attendees visited Grand Skies and the Grand Forks Hive UAS Technological Accelerator where a panel featuring UND’s Paul Snyder, Fire Chief Gary Lorenz, the Northern Plains UAS Test Site’s Erin Roesler and business owner Tommy Kenville, moderated by Greta Silewski. Discussions and questions revolved around the collaborative nature within Grand Forks in addition to current efforts in Grand Forks to utilize a public drone program as a testing ground for enhancing emergency response capabilities across the state. 

Day two shifted focus to financial strategies and partnerships. Discussions highlighted the unique role of North Dakota’s state-owned bank, the Bank of North Dakota, in facilitating infrastructure projects and collaborations with financial institutions, public schools and local governments. David Haukaas of O’Leary Ventures shared insights on private equity’s role in fostering economic growth for large scale projects. 

A significant portion of the conference addressed workforce challenges and opportunities across the state. With North Dakota boasting the nation’s lowest unemployment rate, around 2 percent, the state faces unique challenges from its success. The North Dakota Department of Commerce discussed the “Find the Good Life” program aimed at attracting talent and encouraging former residents to return, veterans and young families to combat the state’s demographic challenges and humble self-perceptions. 

Panel discussions also covered the critical need for strategic recruitment and the inclusion of diverse workforces as well as the importance of access to resources for small businesses provided by organizations like the North Dakota Small Business Development Centers. Bridget West from the Grand Forks Economic Development Corporation and Mark Schill from Praxis Strategy Group discussed the importance of data and its role in informing public perception and economic growth. 

The conference concluded with a focus on improving community life to retain and attract residents, emphasizing that people relocate to vibrant communities, not just jobs. While also focusing on doing a targeted approach to understand what it is that future residents want or risk losing out to other states. 

As North Dakota continues to grow, it is important to highlight the organizations that help support the state’s economic development. The EDND Spring 2024 Conference emphasized the state’s commitment to enhancing quality of life and fostering a unified approach to economic and workforce development. The discussions held and connections formed during the conference are steps toward ensuring the state remains competitive and attractive to both businesses and families looking to thrive in the Peace Garden State. 

Davíd Moreno is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at daví[email protected].