Major Declaration Policy Implemented

In order to graduate from UND, students must declare a major.

Some students know from the minute they apply to college what they are going to study and pursue as a career path. Other students may choose a major and decide later on to change to something completely different. Still, others may choose to remain undecided until they have made a choice regarding their major.

However, starting this spring semester, students must declare a major even if they are undecided about what their major will be.

During the semester in which an undeclared student will reach 45 undergraduate credit hours — typically in their third semester — a major declaration notice will be added to the student’s to do list in Campus Connection. In addition, the Student Success Center will use communicate and connect the student to resources that assist in exploring major options. This notification will prompt a student to take the necessary steps to move from undeclared and begin working with an advisor in the program of study the student plans to pursue.

Upon reaching 60 credit hours as an undeclared student, a negative service indicator hold will be placed on a student’s account prohibiting registration for the following semester until a program of study is chosen.

The Student Success Center will further assist the student through additional communication and contact to prompt major declaration. Once a major is declared, the negative service indicator hold will be removed by the Student Success Center, allowing the student to register for courses based on the intended program of study.

A student who has reached 60 or more credit hours would be allowed to retain or move from undeclared status only with permission from the Student Success Center.

Colin Johnson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].