UND in process of staff changes

Administrative change result in termination of some UND professors, administrators.

Over the past two years, UND has experienced a series of administrative changes on campus. The changes have included the transfer, promotion, or termination of several high-ranking staff members.

Those affected by the changes were former Vice President of Enrollment Management Alice Hoffert, former Dean of the College of Nursing and Professional Disciplines Denise Korniewicz, current Vice President Provost Josh Riedy and former Director of Residence Services Judy Sargent.

University officials say there is nothing out of the ordinary about the shuffling.

“UND is the second largest employer in the state, so there are lots of changes,” UND spokesman Peter Johnson said.

The changes are not related to new positions or the accreditation report findings, but have been made to make UND a better university.

“We are trying to find the best leaders for UND and trying to do what’s best for students,” Vice President of Student Affairs Lori Reesor said.

One of the first staff changes to raise eyebrows in Reesor’s tenure is the termination of Hoffert. Hoffert was fired in June 2011 after working for the university for 37 years, according to the Grand Forks Herald. Hoffert’s position was made into two separate positions that focus on different, more specific skill sets.

Korniewicz was removed as Dean of the College of Nursing and Professional Disciplines and is serving as dean of research for the university.

Sargent was terminated from her position in September.

Riedy was promoted on what was supposed to be his last day at the university in July.

Both Johnson and Reesor say these are hard decisions, but the ultimate goal is to do what is best for the students.

“These are difficult decisions and not taken lightly,” Reesor said.

While some of the decisions have ruffled staff and community members’ feathers, Johnson said in the end they benefit UND.

“There is a lot of thought and consideration on how to enhance the university,” Johnson said.

Reesor said it is important for those in administrative positions need to have the same vision and expectations.

“We are trying to provide the best leaders by finding people who are cooperative, visionary, and committed to students,” she said.

Ashley Marquis is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].