Town Square Farmer’s Market

The local Grand Forks, Town Square Farmer’s Market is beginning to close for the season this fall. With only a couple Saturdays left Dawn R­­ognerud, the board president, has some final thoughts for the people of Grand Forks.  

Aspen Jewkes, Dakota Student

“Our hours are 9 AM to 1 PM, however if you come before 9 AM and our vendors are set up and are ready to sell to you, you are always welcome to do that,” Rodnerud says.  

The Town Square Farmer’s Market will be held every Saturday for the rest of September. With vendors from all around the Grand Forks area, the farmer’s market has a variety of items that one can purchase.  

“We have vendors who focus on vegetables and fruits that we grow locally, and we also have locally raised meat farmers who carry beef, pork, and chicken,” Rodhnerd says. “We also have a lot of vendors who sell locally baked or homemade goods from a wide variety of backgrounds, such as your traditional cookies and sweet breads to more ethnic based foods.”  Produce at a farmer's market

Not only does the farmers market have food for one to buy, but they also carry a variety of other handmade goods from locals.  

“The other part of our market consists of homemade items from handmade rugs and bowl warmers to mittens and signs,” Rodhnerd says. “The farmers market not only serves as a place to shop and buy fresh produce and locally hand made goods, but it also serves as a gathering space and a platform for local small businesses.”  

Located right in the heart of downtown Grand Forks, the Farmers Market is appealing for all ages of life. In the upcoming weeks they have several different performers, as well as student vouchers for students at the University of North Dakota to pick up.  

“We are still in the peak of growing season and there is plenty of stuff for everyone,” Rodhnerd says. “We have live music each weekend, and I know on September 17th we will be having student vouchers available so that UND students can have a chance to come down and participate.”  

The live music brings a warm welcoming presence and atmosphere to the market. With the last couple weeks of the season in full swing for farmers, there are plenty of options for everyone to choose from.  

“There is still lots of things to come see and appreciate and pick up down here at the farmer’s market,” Rodhnerd says.  

My experience when going to the Towns Square Farmer’s Market has always been excellent. From walking the street with vendors who sell their homemade goods to the produce section of vendors, everyone has been so inviting and welcoming.  

Each vendor has its own character and brings a wholesome vibe to the market. There are a variety of different vendors ranging from coffee from Urban Stampede to puppies in a playpen from the local animal shelter.  

When it is said that there is something for everyone, that is no lie. There is quite literally something for everyone.  

Grand Forks, North Dakota is quite a small town, but when the Farmer’s Market was going on, it felt like I was in a big city. It brings so much of the community together in one space and allows people from all over North Dakota to make connections with others.  

I have been to many farmers’ markets in my life, but I can say that the Town’s Square Farmer’s Market has an atmosphere like no other farmers’ market that I have ever been to.  

Aspen Jewkes can be reached at [email protected].