Relaxation of Mask Mandate on Campus

Dominique Menard, News Editor

COVID-19 cases across UND campus, Grand Forks County, North Dakota, and across the nation are on a downward trend. The CDC states that 90% of the U.S. population lives within an area with low to medium transmission levels.  

With cases plummeting, UND President Andy Armacost and other administrators decided to relax the mask requirements on campus. These steps signify steps in the direction of returning to a new normalcy. These requirements were changed on February 24th 

The new requirements are as follows:  

• Masks are required in classrooms, Student Health Services, the University Children’s Learning Center, COVID-19 testing sites at the Pollard Center and Wilkerson Commons, and educational spaces such as labs, simulation spaces, clinical spaces, etc. 
  • Faculty members have the option to teach without a mask, provided they keep sufficient distance from students. A student who is giving a speech or is involved in another form of performance may follow the same principle. 
  • Masks are required while in line at Wilkerson Dining and at first-floor dining spaces within the Memorial Union, but not while eating or drinking. 
  • Masks are encouraged, but not required, in other indoor public places. 
  • Programs with clinical requirements that place students or faculty members in contact with vulnerable patients may adopt additional mask requirements. 
  • If you are working with or speaking with another person and they ask to you wear a mask, please do so as a matter of courtesy and respect. 

Relaxation comes with the hope that if continued reduction of COVID-19 transmission occurs, there will be more relaxations in the masking requirements. UND president and administration urge students to continue following the requirements until new evidence emerges; at that time, a statement will be made by the University.  

Although relaxation has begun, the University still urges students to get tested if they have symptoms of COVID-19. Since February 16th, UND has been distributing at-home COVID tests around campus. Individuals can pick up two per person at no charge. Locations where they can be picked up include: 

• Human Resources, 313 Twamley Hall 
  • Office of Student Life, Room 140, School of Law 
  • Student Involvement, 144 Memorial Union 
  • UND Aerospace, Room 200, Odegard Hall 
  • Wellness Center Welcome Desk 
  • Wilkerson Commons, Room 111 
  • EERC Front Lobby 
  • Chester Fritz Library Administration Office 
  • Student Health, 100 McCannell Hall 
  • School of Medicine & Health Sciences, Room E468 
  • Admissions, Gorecki Alumni Center 
  • Facilities, Room 120 

Tests are also available within the Grand Forks Community. Currently, the organizations offering testing to the public include: 

• Altru Retail Pharmacy: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. 
  • Embrace Pharmacy (inside Turning Point): Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. 
  • Grand Forks City Hall: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 
  • **UND Fritz Pollard Jr. Athletic Center testing site: Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 11a.m. 
  • Grand Cities Mall vaccination site: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. 
  • Hugo’s at the 32nd Avenue South location: Monday-Saturday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. 
  • Home of Economy: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. 
  • Hope Care Center and Food Pantry: Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 
  • Northwood Deaconess: Monday-Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 
  • UND Student Health for UND students, faculty and staff: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

As always, the university is still providing testing incentives to students on campus. Students are allowed to receive 3 vouchers/week with $10/voucher. Items on the list above with an asterisk (**) currently provide this incentive.

Dominique Menard is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].