UND’s Mental Health Reform for Aviation Students

Kelsie Hildebrand, General Reporter

The recent passing of a young man enrolled here at UND on Monday evening, October 18th, has moved the university and its aviation program entirely. With peers, friends, brothers, and family mourning in different ways, UND has implemented new and improved counseling opportunities for students.  

“I wanted to respond to some statements that are being made on social media about seeking counseling or therapy because of a possible affect it will have on flying or medical status,” Robert J. Kraus said in his email to all the students enrolled in the aviation program. “We want anyone that needs help to get help in the form that works best for them.”  

UND is hosting two aviation support groups. Zoom via telehealth on Tuesdays from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. and in person on Thursdays in Ryan Hall 207 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. These are safe spaces for students to share, connect, and explore personal experiences together.  

The University Counseling Centers Tele-Mental Health appointments are available for all students enrolled in the current semester. By logging into your UND Health Portal account and selecting the “Appts” tab, you can easily schedule your first appointment.  

On top of counseling sessions through Zoom and in person sessions that are available for all students, there is a UND Wellbeing App, which brings you a “wide range of tools, resources, and strategies to help you implement healthy habits, improve your wellbeing, and monitor your progress,” according to the University of North Dakota.  

The UCC has reformed their counseling appointment options for students who are in need of help, but if you are in dire need to talk to a licensed professional, dial 211 or call 701.235.7335 at any hour to reach a 24/7 FIRSTLINK Support hotline. 

Kelsie Hildebrand is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].