Trumpet ensemble back to national competition

Pictured from left to right: Ronnie Ingle, director; Kyle Matthees; Evan Ouderkirk; Michael Morrissey; Alaynee Van Ornum; Mark Van Camp; Christiena Taralson; Alex Tally; and Dennis Edelbrock, founder of the National Trumpet Competition. Photo by Ronnie Ingle

For the third year in a row, the UND Trumpet Ensemble will compete in the National Trumpet Competition.

This year’s competition takes place in Columbus, Ga., from Mar. 10 to 12. For 25 years, the NTC has hosted the best college musicians from across the country.

Ensemble director and UND professor of trumpet Ronnie Ingle said he is proud that UND is able to compete with the country’s best music programs at the largest instrumental competition in the world.

“In college, this is as big as it gets. Winning the National Trumpet Competition is a ticket to the next level,” he said.

The NTC is led by Dennis Edelbrock, who has performed with the U.S. Army Band and the Army Brass Quintet since 1975. He has played at many high-profile events, including the Olympics and presidential inaugurations and funerals.

“He has personally risen to the highest level,” Ingle said. “The National Trumpet Competition is his legacy.”

In Grand Forks, the UND Trumpet Ensemble is working on a legacy of their own as they prepare for their third NTC. One student who has been there all three years is Alex Tally, a junior who has played the trumpet for 11 years. He said he is proud of how the ensemble has performed at the last two competitions.

“It was really cool seeing the other high-level ensembles,” he said, “It was kind of amazing to realize we were one of them.”

Tally is one of two ensemble members who are not majoring in trumpet performance, but he does see some connections between music and his major, aviation.

“It’s not just playing the right notes. It really takes a lot of attention to detail to make everything perfect,” he said. “I can kind of relate that to flying.”

For other students, this will be their first NTC.

Alaynee Van Ornum, a senior with 12 years of trumpet experience, will be making her first trip to the competition this year.

“I look forward to just hearing all of the other ensembles because I’ve never really heard high-level trumpet ensembles perform before,” she said. “It will be really incredible to see that many all in one location.”

Another thing to look forward to is the opportunity to learn from some of the greatest instrumentalists in world, according to Christiena Taralson, a freshman majoring in trumpet performance. Contestants at the NTC will get a chance to attend concerts and classes with guest artists and clinicians.

“I think getting to work one-on-one with some of these artists in the master classes will be a good learning experience as a performer,” she said.

Tally, Van Ornum and Taralson are joined by Kyle Matthees, Michael Morrissey, Evan Ouderkirk and Mark Van Camp. The seven trumpeters are working hard to perfect their chosen piece, an original composition by Chris Gable, a music instructor at UND.

Gable created the piece, titled “Traffic Dance,” knowing he had to come up with something that was not only musically pleasing, but also difficult enough for an entry into such a high-level competition.

“I didn’t want to write an easy piece,” he said. “If it’s a piece that they’re forced to put effort into, it makes them a better ensemble, better players.”

Ingle agreed that the piece’s integrity of was the top priority. He said it’s not too common for ensembles to enter the NTC with original compositions, but he trusted Gable with the task of creating something that would stand out. The piece will premiere at the NTC.

The ensemble has been practicing from three to five hours a day in preparation for the competition. They have also memorized “Traffic Dance,” a feat that has impressed both Ingle and Gable, given the complexity of the nearly 7-minute piece.

Ingle said he is especially impressed with the ensemble’s success because it is made up of undergraduates — two of whom are freshmen — competing against doctoral students from some of the best conservatories in the U.S.

“Making the National Trumpet Competition is the validation of what kind of excellence is going on here at the UND Trumpet Studio,” he said.

Ingle has been a professor of trumpet at UND for nine years. He is also recognized as an “Edwards Trumpet Performing Artist” by the Edwards instrument brand.

Lucas Amundson is the features editor for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]