Run, bike, climb in UND Wellness Cup

The UND Wellness Center is hosting the first Wellness Cup competition on April 17.

The event will have three-person teams compete in six events, including running, biking and rock climbing.

Registration costs $25 for a team of three students and $30 for community teams. Registration at the event will begin at 8 a.m., with the event starting at 9 a.m. and ending around 11:30 a.m.

Groups also register on the UND Wellness Center website. A maximum of 25 teams will be allowed.

Each group member will compete in one of three main events — running, biking and rock climbing. There also will be three team events — a blindfold maze, a three-point competition and an agility course. All events will take place indoors.

In addition to UND students, community members are encouraged to participate. The minimum age is 18.

Lunch from Subway and Caribou Coffee will be provided to participants. Prizes will be awarded to first through third place and for additional categories.

The event coordinators, the student program managers at the UND Wellness Center, hope to make the Wellness Cup an annual event.

Nick Boonstra, the Adventure Program manager at the UND Wellness Center, said the Wellness Cup is a unique event because it includes different events such as rock climbing and    team events.

Boonstra said rock climbing experience isn’t required.

“They can show up with absolutely no knowledge,” he said. “We’ll be able to help them put on the equipment and walk them through the steps.”

Lucas Amundson is the features editor for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]