Input sought for presidential search

Janice Fitzgerald and James H. McCormick of ABG Search met with members of the UND community at the Memorial Union to discuss the presidential search on Oct.19. Photo by Nick Nelson/ The Dakota Student.

The UND Presidential Search Committee chairs met with the consultants Association of Governing Boards (AGB) Search and other UND students on Oct. 19 to voice opinions about what they want to see in their next president.

Among the students at the meeting were three members from UND Student Government and the two members of the presidential search committee, Matt Kopp and Samantha Perrin. 

“What we want is an open door policy, we want more transparency and a president that is more connected with their students,” said Samantha Perrin, UND graduate student.

Student Government representatives voiced that they wanted a president who would have regular meetings with their group.

As the meeting continued, AGB Search consultant James H. McCormick asked if the committee members wanted a president with a terminal degree. A terminal degree is the highest level of educational degree in a certain field, which is usually a Ph.D.

“There are valid candidates without a terminal degree who have established careers in other backgrounds, I would say a terminal degree is preferred but not required,”  Perrin said. 

Along with listening to what the students wanted in their new president, AGB also gave advice on things the Student Government could do once the final candidates visit the campus. 

“Ask the question: ‘What do you do plan to do in the first 60 days as president?’” AGB Consultant of Counsel Janice Fitzgerald said.

“This few day period when finalists visit give the candidates a chance to get to know the school through you, and more importantly, gives you guys time to get to know the finalists,” said James H. McCormick, Chancellor Emeritus of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system. 

AGB Search consultants use their networks and perspectives to conduct a search for well-qualified candidates that meet UND’s criteria. AGB Search is in charge of all the presidential recruitment; this includes the soliciting nominations and interests, managing applicants and nominators and the confidential electronic storage of the applications.

AGB search casts the candidate poll using through four main methods. The agency advertises in leading higher education publications as well as other online and print sources. It also requests nominations from various leaders at associate institutions of higher education. Additionally, it leverages the broad system their consultants developed and approaches candidates that have surfaced in previous searches. 

“Our job is to assist the committee in finding candidates, we don’t have any say in the final decision, that’s for the committee,” said James H. McCormick.

AGB Search was first founded 2010. With now more than 1,200 member institutions, AGB is a national association that provides for the interests of senior-level campus administrators, boards of institutionally related foundations and academic governing boards.

Tony Watson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]