Upcoming SAMA Conference and Aviation Family Weekend

Arjun Jagada

Every year, the University of North Dakota Alpha Eta Rho, Delta Chapter, hosts the well known Aviation Family Weekend, inviting families and friends to experience a weekend to acknowledge the successes and hard work of our aviation students. Each year, the monumental weekend kicks off with the SAMA Conference, with the SAMA Career Fair to follow. The weekend full of conferences, speakers, and meetings is an exceptional event for current students and families to celebrate current student’s successes and shine a light on a future full of opportunities.  

This year, the weekend spans from April 25 to April 28, beginning with the SAMA Conference on April 25. The conference, beginning at 9 a.m., consists of a wide range of speakers within the aviation industry, including pilots, Aviation Medical Examiners, safety specialists, aircraft salespersons, and many others. Each speaker provides a wide range of experience and advice, sharing firsthand stories and words of wisdom with those who attend. This year, the conference will be hosted in Clifford 210 and will last until 3 p.m. For more information, you can contact Josh Salmi, President of SAMA, at [email protected] 

On April 26, SAMA is hosting the SAMA Career Fair, which is well known within the aviation industry. The SAMA Career Fair allows a variety of airlines and representatives to stand on behalf of their organization that traditionally attracts over 850 attendees.  The career fair is an exceptional opportunity for students to network and meet representatives who may function as their future employers. Salmi spoke on the excitedness and energy around the event. “We have a phenomenal team of officers, a staggering roster of over 125 members, and are expecting to welcome over 1,000 students and 35 companies from around the world,” Salmi said. The energy around the event combined with the volume of participants shows how much of an impact the event truly has.   

On Saturday, April 27, the morning will kick off with the Women in Aviation pancake breakfast at 7 a.m. at the Airport Hangar. Every year, Women in Aviation hosts the pancake breakfast to fundraise and spread awareness for the UND WAI Chapter. Following the pancake breakfast, AHP (Alpha Eta Rho), will be hosting a lunch from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Airport Hangar. At 4 p.m., the Aviation Scholarship Ceremony will be held in the Memorial Union Small Ballroom. Following the ceremony, a banquet dinner will be held in the Memorial Union Large Ballroom. Scholarship recipients will receive dinner free of charge. All other participants may attend and pre-register through the aero.und.edu website.   

The weekend holds many opportunities for networking, growth, and participation. Each year, the event allows students to make connections with those in the industry and share their love for aviation with their families. To request more information about the weekend, contact [email protected] or AHP at [email protected]. 

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student Section Editor. She can be reached at [email protected].