Golden Globes Winners

Unsplash Images

On Sunday, January 7th, the 81st Golden Globes Award Ceremony took place at the Beverly Hilton in California. The Golden Globes have been taking place since 1944, and the award ceremony is one of the most popular ceremonies in the film industry. While the Oscars serve as an ending or finale to the past year of filmmaking, the Golden Globes serve as a beginning to the award season.  

Stars like Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, and Oprah Winfrey made appearances at the award ceremony this year. 2024 proved to be a popular year for the Golden Globes, as viewer ratings increased by 50% from last year.  

This year’s Golden Globes Awards reigned in winners across several genres, but Christoper Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” and Jesse Armstrong’s “Succession” appeared to be the most acclaimed productions of the night. Nolan took home the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Director, competing with other beloved filmmakers like Martin Scorsese and Yorgos Lanthimos.  

Musician Ludwig Goransson won the award for Best Original Score, again giving Oppenheimer another accolade under its belt.  

Meanwhile, Greta Gerwig’s record-breaking film “Barbie” received the award for Best Original Song, as Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell were recognized for their song “What Was I Made For?” that was featured on the Barbie soundtrack. 

Actresses like Elizabeth Debicki, Emma Stone, Lily Gladstone, and Ayo Edibri were recognized for their performances across TV and film this past year. When it came to actors, names like Cillian Murphy, Jeremy Allen White, and Steven Yeun took home awards recognizing their performances as well.  

To expand more on “Succession” and the way it swept this year’s Golden Globes, three actors took home awards for their work on the television show, including Sarah Snook, Kieran Culkin, and Matthew Macfadyen. Additionally, the show took home the award for Best Drama Television Series.  

The Golden Globes serve as a ceremony of appreciation for a year of outstanding achievements in acting and filmmaking, and with groundbreaking viewer numbers this time around, this year’s award ceremony brings hope to the ever-continuing rise of interest in and acknowledgement of the film industry.  

Sources: 

Grein, P. (2024, January 8). 2024 Golden Globes’ ratings climb 50% from 2023. Billboard. https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/2024-golden-globes-ratings-climb-1235578177/  

Rich, K. (2024, January 8). Golden Globes winners 2024: See The full list here. Vanity Fair. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/awards-insider-golden-globes-2024-winners-list  

Ava Stockstad is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]