Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

2024’s Emmy Awards

Unsplash Images

Just eight days after this year’s Golden Globes awards, hundreds of faces in the film industry made a second red carpet appearance, this time for the 75th Emmy Awards. Dozens of shows across television received recognition for their formidable work in filmmaking and acting in the industry this previous year.  

The 75th Emmy Awards were initially scheduled for last September, but amidst the longstanding, industry-wide writers and actors strikes, the ceremony was postponed.  

Overall, it appears that the Emmys had a much wider variety of television shows included in their nominations, even with the Golden Globes’ top winners taking home most of the Emmy awards as well.  

“The Bear” and “Succession” took the spotlight once again with their sweep at the Golden Globes crossing over into the Emmys; both shows took home six wins, even after receiving outstanding appraisal at the smaller, but still respectable Creative Arts Emmys that took place on January 6th 

“Succession” stars Kieran Culkin, Sarah Snook, and Matthew Macfadyen walked away with awards for their outstanding performances as lead actor, lead actress, and supporting actor. Meanwhile, screenwriter Jesse Armstrong walked away with the award for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series, and the show’s director, Mark Mylod, received an award for his directing work as well. Meanwhile, “The Bear” stars Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edibri, and Ebon Moss Bachrach who were awarded for their outstanding performances in the comedy series. Perhaps to seal it all in, the two shows both won the Outstanding Television Series awards for their respective genres.  

In the run for Outstanding Drama Series, “Succession” was up against other critically acclaimed television shows like “The White Lotus” and “Better Call Saul.” Dedicated fans of “Better Call Saul” were dismayed as the show took home not a single win, even after a collective 53 Emmy nominations since the start of its television run-time.  

Netflix’s limited series, “Beef,” received accolades on the evening of the Emmys as well, with actor and actress Steven Yeun and Ali Wong taking home awards for their outstanding lead performances.  

Actress Christina Applegate was given a standing ovation as she took the stage to accept the award for her win in the Outstanding Supporting Actress and Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. In 2021, Applegate announced that she had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and since then, she has persevered through the illness, continuing to work behind the camera. However, upon discussing her award-winning work in “Dead to Me,” Applegate shared that it would be her last project on screen. The audience at this year’s Emmys stood up in solidarity to recognize her skill in the acting industry and her continuous strength, and she was brought to tears over the display of admiration. 

After a year of groundbreaking work in television and film, seeing committed industry professionals receive accolades for their performances is a reward in itself. After a memorable past year of productions, one can only wonder what is in store for these next twelve months. 

Ava Stockstad is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected]