Welcome to the Greater Grand Forks Community Expo 2023

As classes begin and campus gets back into regular scheduled programming, there are a variety of informative, entertaining events taking place. Every event planned on campus is geared towards student involvement, outreach, and education. This allows students to explore clubs, organizations, and other various opportunities to take part in. No matter who you talk to, there is no denying that getting involved is one of the best parts of college life. The University of North Dakota’s campus allows much opportunity for involvement by providing scheduled events frequently throughout the academic year.  

Most recently, campus was revived through its Welcome Weekend, calling new students from all around the world to explore and find their new home at UND. Some of the Welcome Weekend activities included Night at the Wellness Center, the Find Your Classes Event, and the Memorial Union Takeover. At both the Night at the Wellness Center and the Memorial Union Takeover, there were many activities such as bingo, roller-skating, bumper cars, and cow milking, not literal. These events allowed students to participate together, make new friends, and explore campus. With the Find Your Classes event, students were matched up with upperclassmen volunteers to explore campus and find their classes. Following Welcome Weekend activities, the University of North Dakota partnered with businesses from the Greater Grand Forks area to participate in the Campus and Community Expo. The event, held on August 23rd, allowed students to browse through a selection of Grand Forks businesses and organizations. Each business and organization sent representatives to occupy a table, full of informational handouts, and of course, free swag. Some businesses included Bully Brew, the Alerus Center, and Nautical Bowls. By creating the connection between students and businesses, students are able to make new connections and develop a sense of home here in Grand Forks.  

In addition to local businesses, UND affiliated clubs and departments were in attendance. UND Marketing, Admissions, and the Accounting Club were all present allowing students to see some behind-the-scenes work, as well as potential involvement opportunities on campus for the semester.  

Upon talking with Kari Holter, Coordinator of Student Organizations and Student Government Operations, she explained that the Campus and Community Expo, as well as events like it, allow students to “make connections with businesses and departments and to make connections with new friends.” Holter is one of the many individuals that make these events possible for students, and her enthusiasm and passion for student involvement and success goes beyond words.  

As we enter the first few weeks of school, there are many more events scheduled. While the Campus and Community Expo has come and gone for the year, there are events such as UND’s Book Club, Ice Cream Day, a Farmer’s Market Voucher, and many others. All scheduled events can be found on UND’s website. Additionally, if you are interested in the events scheduled for the fall semester, check out the “First 83 Days” on the UND website. This website has a breakdown of the first 83 days of the semester, with an event planned every single day. Whether it is here on UND’s campus or somewhere in the Grand Forks community, there is an event every day to get involved in. Regardless of how you choose to get involved, there is no doubt that there is an event for you.  

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].