Community Center offers grants for youth

FUNDING Grand Forks foundation offers funding to improve the local neighborhoods.

The Community Foundation of Grand Forks, East Grand Forks and Region will be giving out Micro Grants to young people who have ideas about how they can improve the community.

According to the foundation website, it is looking for college students, recent graduates, young people, youthful professionals and groups that have found a way to make it more fun to live in the community. Grants awarded to projects will be from $500 to $3,000.

“This is one of the strategies to help students to help the community at large,” Executive Director Kristi Mishler said. “We want to make a more fun community to live in and have students and young people engaged in the community.”

Mishler said these grants were created after they studied and received feedback from young people in the community, who said that they felt detached from the community. Mishler also said this is the first step toward trying to get young people involved in the community.

“We want the youth to be connected in new ways,” Mishler said. “They will be able to connect to social networks, business networks and non-profit networks.”

To get a project funded, students will need to fill out a one-page form by Nov. 18 with the details of the problem they see in the community and how they plan on using the grant money to address the problem. By filling out the form, they have the opportunity to get a spot to pitch your idea at Grants Night Event.

The event will be held Nov. 21 at 7:00 pm at the Empire Arts Center. The event will also have food, beverages, and music.

“Young people matter, and youth are important to us,” Mishler said. “We want to work with all generations to create a stronger community. We want to invest in the youth.”

Megan Hoffman is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at megan.hoffman@my.und.edu