Fufeng Group Seeks to Build a Corn-Milling Facility in Grand Forks

Kelsie Hildebrand, General Reporter

The Fufeng Group, located in mainland China, is a global-leader in bio-fermentation and manufacturing products that serve animal nutrition, food & beverage, pharmaceutical, health and wellness, oil & gas, and other industries. In November 2021, Fufeng Group Ltd. selected Grand Forks, North Dakota as its first U.S. manufacturing site.  

According to the city of Grand Forks, the site will require 370 acres in Grand Forks’ agribusiness park and 25 bushels of corn each year. The corn-milling facility may bring trucking traffic and plant odors but will boost regional corn demand and bring hundreds of new jobs to the city.  

The Fufeng Groups deal has been in and out of City Council, but this coming Tuesday, there will be another vote towards approving the construction of the new Fufeng Group facility. The City Council has been at odds since the public release of the corn-milling facility in November, but there are high hopes this clash is nearing its end.  

On Monday, February 14th, the City Council approved the development agreement 5-1 and needs the same number of votes in this week’s formal session to put the city on the path to help build the new Fufeng plant, according to Sam Easter of the Grand Forks Herald. The $96.5 million budget that the city is eyeballing will cover any upgrades and improvements the plant may need to link the plant to the city.  

With Governor Doug Burgum and Mayor Brandon Bochenski on board, the Fufeng deal will likely be approved by the City Council to develop the facility. The eyes of the City Council will be watching the Fufeng Group very carefully as the city gathers all the information necessary. 

Kelsie Hildebrand is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].