Confidence is Key

Megan Vogt, Opinion Editor

Before I started college, I was constantly anxious, always worrying about who liked me, what they thought of me, where I would be in 5 years, what if I fail this test, etc. I didn’t realize how exhausting it was. It truly does take a toll on a person and their energy level.

Understanding self-worth and how important you are to this world and the people around you is a great first step in understanding what confidence is. It doesn’t happen overnight, but all it takes is a switch in a mindset and the way you look at your life and your perspective on all the challenges you have accomplished. 

I said my biggest piece of advice for freshman would be to take it all in. I take that back. That would actually be my second biggest piece of advice. I think the most important aspect of college is to find yourself and believe in who you are. Confidence is a great thing, and it looks good on you. That would be my biggest and best piece of advice for freshman who are wrapping up their first semester. 

Confidence can go a long way in college. From walking with your shoulders back and head held high to believing in how intelligent you are. Being a girl in college, confidence is not always easy. There are great days and there are hard days. But take it one day at a time. Stop comparing yourself to everyone, because I can guarantee that you have something that they wish they had. Believe in who you are. Believe in the things you stand for.

Don’t be afraid to be yourself. Even if you are the awkward girl who doesn’t know how to hold a small talk conversation. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, even if that is as simple as asking to go for a drive with someone or grabbing coffee to catch up and chat with a friend. Be you and own it. It is quite fun being different.

At the end of the day, you should be proud of your accomplishments and all that you have done. Be proud of yourself for getting accepted to college. Be proud of yourself for passing that class. Be proud of yourself for studying. Be proud of yourself for putting jeans on instead of leggings. Be proud of who you are. You are the only you, and no one can ever take that away from you.

When starting your journey through college, please be yourself. That does not have to be the person you were in high school. Be whoever it is you want to be. People will love you endlessly for whatever it is you bring the table. Confidence is hard, but take it one day at a time, and one day you’ll get there.

“In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or to step back into safety.” –Andrew Maslow