North Dakota unable to net victory

SOCCER North Dakota walks away with winless weekend with a tie and a loss.

UND senior Anna Jung swings back to kick the ball through traffic in Friday’s game agaisnt South Dakota. The teams battled into overtime, but walked away with a 2-2 tie. Photo by Chester Beltowski.

For the third year in a row, the UND Women’s soccer team (1-9-1) tied with the South Dakota Coyotes (4-2-3). At Bronson Field on Friday afternoon, the double overtime game ended with a 2-2 tie, neither team able to clench the much-desired win.

When the teams met two years ago, both remained scoreless, ending in a 0-0 tie. Last year, the close competitors tied with four points apiece.

North Dakota got into the game much quicker than the Coyotes, scoring two back to back goals within the first ten minutes of play. The first goal was scored by UND freshman Robyn Wujkowski, who took advantage of sophomore Caitlin Dahl’s well-placed assist. Wujkowski, a freshman this year, got her second goal of the season when she beat out South Dakota’s defender and chipped the ball past goalkeeper Mackenzie Viktor.

Less than a minute later, North Dakota got its second goal when sophomore Andrea Hyduke pressured Viktor and was able to take advantage of a save rebound and kick the bal into the net. This marked Hyduke’s first goal of her college career.

These two quick goals were the only scored by UND in Friday’s game. North Dakota remained in the lead until Coyote Taylor Nivala netted a goal for South Dakota at the 33 minute mark.

Despite North Dakota’s quick start in the game, tit was unable to hold the Coyotes at bay.  Just over four minutes into the second half, South Dakota’s Danielle Anderson tied the game up 2-2, where the score would remain for the rest of the match and through two overtimes.

UND Goalkeeper Kristi Hestdalen had another good game, ending with twice as many saves (6) as South Dakota’s Viktor (3).

Head Coach Matt Kellogg sees this tie as progress for the season.

“Three weeks ago, this team loses this game,” he said. “We battled hard in the second half and the two overtimes, we didn’t back down, we started to play more physical, we have a new sense of urgency and I think we can take that into conference play in a week.”

Loss to SDSU

Sunday brought with it a much harder match against South Dakota State. UND lost the afternoon game 6-1, unable to keep the Jackrabbits at bay.

South Dakota scored first, less than a minute into the game, with a header from Diana Pottervold. North Dakota came back and tied the game up 37 minutes in when Kirsten Olsen took advantage of her penalty kick at South Dakota goalkeeper Nicole Inskeep.

The last goal of the first half was netted by South Dakota’s Stacy Guijarro, who headed it in off a pass from teammate Caylee Costello in the 41st minute.

The second half was dominated by the Jackrabbits, who allowed no more goals from North Dakota and scored four more times to put a five point gap between the two teams.

“We were not ready to play against a very talented SDSU team,” Kellogg said after the game. “That’s my fault and I have to do a better job of that this week.”

North Dakota begins its conference season this Friday in Sacramento, Calif. at 6 p.m., when it will face Sacramento State. UND also will take on Portland State Sunday at 3 p.m. in Portland Ore.

Marie Monson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at marie.iva.monson@my.und.edu