Vikings Select McCarthy

Unsplash Images

The Minnesota Vikings found themselves without a quarterback on March 13 when Kirk Cousins announced he would be signing with the Atlanta Falcons. Cousins had been the starter for Minnesota for the past six seasons, accumulating a 50-37-1 record in his time with the Vikings. 

While the Vikings did sign former Jets third-overall pick Sam Darnold to a one-year contract, Minnesota was in dire need of a long-term solution at the quarterback position. The purple and gold found that solution on Thursday, March 25 when they selected J.J. McCarthy with the 10th overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. 

To draft McCarthy, the Vikings had to do some work. Minnesota sent the 11th overall pick and two Day Three picks to the New York Jets in exchange for the 10th overall pick and a Day Three pick. 

McCarthy, an Illinois native, played for the Michigan Wolverines for three seasons, starting for two of them. In the 2023-24 season, McCarthy led the Wolverines to their first national championship since the Clinton administration. In the natty-winning season, McCarthy threw for nearly 3,000 yards with a completion percentage of 72.3%, garnering a passer rating of 167.4. 

Kevin O’Connell, the Head Coach for the Vikings, was excited to have McCarthy coming to Minnesota. O’Connell went on the record to say that McCarthy has “high-level intelligence and just kind of some of the traits and intangibles that I was really looking for as we attacked this process.” 

The NFC North, quickly becoming one of the most crowded divisions in the league, had another team select a player they hope will be under center for years to come. The Chicago Bears selected Caleb Williams with the 1st overall pick and elected to give him an elite rookie receiver by taking Rome Odunze with the 9th overall pick. 

The Vikings stayed busy on the first day of the NFL Draft, moving picks around to select Dallas Turner with the 17th overall pick. Turner was an edge rusher at Alabama for three seasons before declaring for the 2024 NFL Draft. 

McCarthy, Turner, and the rest of Minnesota’s draft class will begin their rookie minicamp with the Vikings on May 10. The Minnesota faithful are hoping that this will be the beginning of a more successful season than last year when the Vikings tied Chicago for last place in the division. 

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student Section Editor. He can be reached at [email protected]