University releases 30 year vision

Here’s what campus could look like in 2048

Jacob Notermann, Staff Writer

The 2018 winter semester is starting out with a strong rollout of administrative initiatives. Last Tuesday, UND Today released a series of maps showing the university’s “preferred vision” for changing the campus landscape.

These maps are merely conceptual outlines for a “30-year vision for the UND campus, detailing what it could look like by 2048.” The outlines include the demolitions of Gamble Hall, Chandler Hall, Sayre Hall and the Hyslop Sports Center, along with other more deteriorated buildings.

New construction, as reflected in the outlines, include a new College of Business and Public Administration that would be built where Montgomery Hall currently rests, with connections to Merrifield Hall and the Chester Fritz Library.

Along with new buildings, the visions show a central pedestrian highway that would run parallel to University Avenue behind the Chester Fritz Library. This pedestrian highway would run completely from the High Performance Center to the Chester Fritz Auditorium.

The maps also account for renovations to the majority of the academic buildings, including the Student Memorial Union. Earlier this year, Student Body President Cole Bachmeier specifically mentioned the Union’s renovations being a priority this year, but there are currently no public plans for the students to vote on the matter.

Sasaki, an “international interdisciplinary planning and design firm” from Massachusetts, are heavily responsible for these concept maps.

Jacob Notermann is a staff writer for Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]