SME, Inc. signs contract to design logo

UND has signed a contract for logo development with SME, Inc. This 25-year-old New York -based agency will aid the school in the development of a logo which will represent the new Fighting Hawks nickname.

SME was one of 16 companies under consideration for this contract, based off of an RFP issued by UND in December 2015. This recommendation was made by UND’s Graphic Identity and RFP Evaluation and Recommendation Team, which met throughout January and February 2016 and reviewed the applicants.

The team consisted of representatives from UND’s faculty, staff and student body. The student body was represented on the team by Brandon Beyer, who is the Student Government treasurer.

“It’s a large process, so you need an incredibly qualified firm to do it. I think SME is the perfect choice for UND,” Brandon Beyer commented on the selection process.

SME Inc. has been involved in a variety of graphic identity projects spanning many different fields. The have had partnerships with the ACC, Adidas, ESPN, FIFA, Kentucky Derby, MLS, NASCAR, NBA, the New York Yankees, NFL, NHL, Pac-12, The Coca Cola Company, UFC, and the US Olympic Committee, among other clients.

Beyer is not alone in his support of SME Inc. Interim President Ed Schafer, who approved the team’s recommendation to him on Monday, also spoke highly of the firm.

“We are looking forward to working with SME to conclude the process of implementing UND’s new nickname and logo.  SME’s breadth of experience will serve UND well not only in the design of a logo, but also in the creation of the complete graphic identity needed to support that logo,” Schafer said in a statement. “ We also appreciate SME’s willingness and enthusiasm for working with a public input process.”

Beyer was confident that SME Inc. was the most qualified of the applicants, and he noted that the selection of SME Inc. from the final three firms was a nearly unanimous decision by the team. He stated that that the task presented to SME Inc. is not confined to the creation of the logo, but it also extends to other parts of the university’s graphic identity as well..

“With the university going through a logo process right now, we kind of forget that they’re also going through a rebranding process as well,” Beyer said.

The Fighting Hawks nickname selection has been met with some backlash from students and alumni alike. This could lead to a potentially difficult transition process when SME Inc. reveals their logo design.

The logo is expected to be complete by May so that it, along with the accompanying parts of their work, can be used by UND athletic teams in the fall.

SME will begin working with UND immediately, and the firm has been scheduled to visit the UND campus soon in an effort to gather campus and public input before starting on the logo.

David Satre is the news editor for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]