Medical school hosts day for premed

University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) will be hosting their annual Premed day on Oct. 24 from  9:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Anyone who is interested in applying to medical school is invited to the event, which will be located at the Reed T. Keller Auditorium at the SMHS. According to a press release from UND’s SMHS, “The morning session consists of speakers who will introduce participants to the medical school and the UND premed and medical school curricula.

Panels of medical students will discuss what medical school is like. The afternoon session will provide an overview of the admissions process, and local physicians will talk about their lives as doctors. In addition, a mock interview session will give participants an opportunity to preview the UND medical school admissions process.”

It is an exciting time at UND’s SMHS as the construction of the school’s new $124 million, 325,000-square-foot facility is projected to be finished by May 2016. According to the medical school’s website, they currently admit more than 75 students a year, with the vast majority of them being from North Dakota.

Students who are interested in attending Premed Day are encouraged to RSVP by Oct. 16; the event is free but space is limited. For more information on the progress of the construction of the UND School of Medicine and Health Science and to register for Premed day, please visit www.med.und.

Sean Cleary is the news editor for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected]