Campus recognized as military-friendly

ROTC members stand at attention. Photo by Nicholas Nelson/The Dakota Student.

For the fifth year in a row, UND ranked in Victory Media’s list of the top 15 percent of military-friendly schools.

“Obviously, we’re very proud of that,” said Professor of Military Science Lt. Col. Clarence Carroll III. “I love the fact that UND is very proud of that.”

Carroll said there are many reasons UND is considered military-friendly.

“It has to do with benefits to veterans — the availability of veterans affairs,” Carroll said.

In addition, he listed the aviation program as being “a big advantage” and North Dakota being such a prosperous state.

“I like how the university’s tailoring towards that,” Carroll said about the state’s prosperity.

One program catering to veterans on campus is Veterans Educational Training, which is a state funded project helping veterans prepare for and complete post-secondary education.

UND’s site coordinator for the program is James Becks, who said tutoring is only about 30 to 40 percent of what they do there.

“There’s a lot of great courses that UND offers to veterans,” Becks said.

He listed tuition, cost of living and the way of life UND and the Grand Forks area has to offer as reasons why veterans are attracted to this campus. Another reason he gave was the presence of Carol Anson.

“She is another big reason why UND students come,” Becks said.

Carol Anson has worked as  the veterans adviser for years  and works with approximately 750 students a semester, Becks said.

“She has a great reputation, quite frankly, across the world,” Becks added.

Anson can name other assets the university has as well.

“A lot of them come for the aviation program and engineering,” Anson said about veterans.

One big draw is out-of-state veterans pay in-state tuition prices. Of course, the post-9/11 GI Bill helps out with this, too.

The new GI Bill pays for 36 months of tuition, fees and housing. Veterans have 15 years to take advantage of it post-service.

“Being a top military-friendly school gives UND the opportunity to recruit students that we wouldn’t normally recruit,” Carroll said.

Jamie Hutchinson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].