Wilkerson closes doors for construction

Wilkerson Dining Center is set to close March 13 when contractors will move their way into the kitchen for renovation. The dining center is scheduled to reopen in time for the fall semester.

In the meantime, Smith Hall, room 40, will serve as a temporary dining center starting March 23.

While Smith Hall will only be available on weekdays, Squires Dining Center will continue to serve weekend meals.

Orlynn Rosaasen, who has been director of dining services at UND for over 10 years, said this is the first major renovation that’s happened since the building’s construction in the late 60s. Aside from work done on the lower level after the flood in 1997, all that has been done is periodic carpet replacement and painting.

“It’s been a long, drawn out process,” Rosaasen said. “But any time you’re working on a project this size, it takes a long time.”

As for the time between spring break and when the dining center reopens, students living in Wilkerson Complex dormitories will have to form new eating routines, relocating to either Smith Hall or to one of the other dining halls.

“I think (Smith Hall) is going to provide service to a small niche group of students,” Rosaasen said. “Most will probably go to Squires.”

Several students echoed Rosaasen’s opinion on where students will wind up after spring break by saying they plan to go to Squires instead of Smith Hall. But not everyone is happy about it.

“I’m kind of upset by it,” said Briana Hauck, a student who often eats at Wilkerson.

She cited the easy tunnel access to Wilkerson from the dorms as a plus. As for Smith Hall, she doesn’t think it will attract many students.

“Nobody’s going to go if Squires is right across the street,” she said.

Student Lucas Manor is optimistic about the construction.

“If it needs to be done, it needs to be done,” he said. He also plans to “hop over the coulee” to Squires when spring comes around.

Wilkerson Dining Center custodian and UND student Jeff Haufschild said he’ll probably wind up working at Smith Hall after spring break. However, he would prefer to eat his meals at Squires.

“It’s just a better atmosphere,” he said.

Staff writer Marie Monson contributed to this article.

Jamie Hutchinson is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. He can be reached at [email protected].