Frozen Four trip funds denied

Senate did not approve a bill that would fund a charter bus for UND students to travel to the Frozen Four hockey tournament in Philadelphia on April 10-12.

The bill would have allocated $9,800 to make the bus free for students, leaving them with a cost of approximately $500 to cover the ticket and lodging. The trip would have been open to the first 47 students who signed up.

President Nick Creamer worked with the Ralph Engelstad Arena, Nodak Nation and the Athletics Department to author the bill. Although most of the senators recognized the trip as a good opportunity to promote UND athletics and school spirit, several senators had concerns about using such a large amount of money for only a small amount of students.

“This money could be used in much better ways,” said senator Philip Jensen. “I hate to be against UND hockey, but this is irresponsible.”

Sen. Kyle Thorson also expressed concerns with the bill, but he offered an alternative route.

“I would love to put money towards a viewing party for all students on campus, but I can’t support this.”

Creamer defended the bill because of the high interest from students.

“I see where the arguments of opposition are coming from, but this is an opportunity for this body to make a difference in students’ lives this year,” he said. “The amount of funding is similar to the amount we have provided for other trips, and the students will still be taking on a majority of the cost.”

Despite an amendment proposed by Sen. Brett Johnson to allocate $60 per student, or $2820 total instead of $9800, the bill was not passed.

Spring Jam

University Programming Council Chair Kristina LeMire updated the Senate on the progress of the Spring Jam concert, which is being planned for May 3. The acts have not been announced yet because contracts are still in the process of being signed.

“The moment we get the contracts signed, students will be able to get tickets,” LeMire said.

Because of issues with budgeting, the opening act has been cut from the concert lineup, but will be brought to campus for Welcome Weekend next fall instead.

UNDIA Powwow Funding

The UND Indian Association asked the Senate for an additional $4,000 to fund a community buffalo feed at their annual powwow that will take place April 11-13. The senate previously allocated $20,000 to the organization for the event, but it was not enough to cover the costs of the buffalo feed. Several senators were concerned that too much money was being given, so the bill was amended to $2,000 instead of $4,000, and passed.

Emmy Erbes is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].