Monster Patrol ensures safe Halloween

Student volunteers direct traffic, help kids stay safe on Halloween

Monster Patrol volunteers watch over trick-or-treaters on Halloween. Photo by Chester Beltowski/The Dakota Student.

Groups of students in neon pink and orange vests left the Student Government office in the Memorial Union on Thursday evening in an effort to make Grand Forks neighborhoods safer for trick-or-treaters.

The students were part of UND Student Government’s Monster Patrol Program.

Armed with badges and maps, about 60 students were briefed on their assignments and sent out into Grand Forks neighborhoods. The patrol uses student volunteers to help with creating a safe environment for trick-or-treaters on Halloween night.

“Monster Patrol is ensuring Grand Forks Community is safe during Halloween,” Student Government spokesman Joe Kalka said. “It’s a project in conjunction with the Grand Forks Police Department and the City of Grand Forks.”

The patrol started in 2010 as an initiative for the school to branch out to the community.

The patrol allows students to volunteer as crossing guards for local trick-or-treaters.  The patrollers’ duties include directing traffic, helping kids cross the streets, and promoting safety.

“Essentially we have volunteers that will be assigned to different neighborhoods from 5 to 9 p.m., just ensuring that everyone has a safe and good time on Halloween,” Kalka said. “If that’s helping people cross the street, answering questions anyone might have, if any problems arise they can direct people to where they need to be.”

The Monster Patrol is just one way for Student Government to connect with Grand Forks. According to Kalka, Student Government is looking into the relationship the university has with the community.

Student Government uses Tuesday Twos polls to better understand the relationship between UND and the surrounding community. Each week, Student Government asks students quesitons regarding whether they feel like a part of Grand Forks community and if the city is fun place for students.

“There is so much traffic on Halloween (and) it is a one-time thing,” Kalka said. “It was something that the individuals that founded it saw was a good opportunity for community involvement.”

Senior Jordan Hahn participated in this year’s patrol with the Accounting Club.

“I thought that it would be a good opportunity to give back to the community,” Hahn said. “I thought it was a great experience.”

Those who choose to participate in the patrol may not have any particular experience in aiding pedestrians through traffic, but Kalka said that didn’t worry him.

“It’s on a volunteer basis and the philosophy that we’re working with is that someone being there is better than no one being there,” he said.
“So even if they’re not trained to the best of the ability of a professional crossing guard or a police officer, we’re not expecting that. What we are expecting is a presence there, so that if there is an issue or if there is a need … then our volunteers can be a helpful presence.”

Although the volunteers were not trained to direct traffic, a lack of experience didn’t pose that much of an issue.

“I think it wasn’t too worrisome just to help people make it safely across the intersections,” said Hahn.

Hahn added he not only sees initiatives such as the Monster Patrol as a way to give back to the community, but a way to benefit for one’s self.

“I think it’s very important for the university and its students to have relationship in the community” … “these opportunities to be involved in the community help you grow as a person.”

Paula Kaledzi is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].