UND Student Government Prepares for Elections

Cassie Gerhardt

Every year, the student body at UND hand picks individuals to represent them and their corresponding college. This meticulous selection is in the form of Student Government Elections. Election Day, held every spring, consists of a one-day event that takes several months of preparation. On Election Day, students may visit participating locations to vote for student body President, Vice President, and two Student Senate candidates that correspond with their college of enrollment and current residential location. By choosing a candidate to represent your college and residential location, you can help bridge the gap between the student body and administration, allowing for organic growth and perpetual change to maximize your college experience.   

This year, there are two pairs running for Student Government President and Vice President. Connor Ferguson, UND’s current Vice President, is running for student body President for the 2024-2025 academic year. His counterpart, Maya Orvis, is running for Vice President. Together, their goal is to target the UND experience towards every individual, to support wellness, community, and success for every single student. Their commonly used hashtag #youND, encapsulates their thorough mission to be positive representatives for every single student at the University of North Dakota.   

I got the opportunity to speak with Ferguson and  Orvis. Ferguson spoke of his excitement for the campaign, saying, “Maya and I are so excited for Election Day! We have such an amazing team who’ve been supporting us the whole way, and we know that our endorsed senators will do spectacular work for UND.”   

Also running are President and Vice President duo, Precious Dada and Madi Lee.  Both women having previously served with UND Student Government and launched their CARES campaign, including the platform points, “Connect, Accessibility, Represent, Empower, Solidarity.” Together, the two are launching a campaign to represent their values and genuine care for UND and the student body. Both women are extremely involved with UND and would make exceptional representatives for the university if selected.   

I got the opportunity to interview Madi Lee, running as Vice President with Precious Dada as President. She stated, “Precious and I are truly so grateful to have this opportunity. We have both had interactions with student groups that we wouldn’t normally get the opportunity to speak with, which has allowed us to have meaningful conversations about the student experience at UND. We are excited for Election Day and are so proud of all the hard work our senators have put into this campaign!” 

There are an abundance of senators running, one endorsed by each campaign, representing each college, and then a variety of on and off campus housing representatives. This year, there are two options for each Senator position, one set per campaign. When voting, be sure to read each candidates bio to find a representative that aligns with your beliefs and wants for the academic school year. By building a strong Student Government team, the University can make forward progress to make UND an exceptional community for all.   

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student Section Editor. She can be reached at [email protected].