Grand Forks is Funny

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

The monthly Open Mic Comedy Night at Archives Coffee House, a popular campus coffee shop, continues to spotlight local talent, including seasoned comedians Matthew Ternus, Caleb Eilts, and Nellie Piekarski. The event serves as a platform for emerging and established comedians, while contributing to the growing comedy scene in Grand Forks.  

Ternus, host of the Open Mic Night, is known for his dual role as the Development and Marketing Director at the Empire Arts Center. Ternus is a former Alum of the University of North Dakota and made his mark as former Vice President Fall of 2019 and later President of the Student Body Fall of 2020. A passionate comedian, Ternus credits his early exposure to comedy and the Daniel Tosh show as his inspiration. “I remember being like, you know what, I want to do that someday,” Ternus stated. Ternus also emphasized the developmental nature of open mics, where comedians can test and refine their material.  

The comedy scene in Grand Forks, bolstered by Archives’ Open Mic nights, has grown significantly, with participation and audience numbers increasing. Ternus highlights the open mic platform as crucial for budding and seasoned comedians to refine their acts. “It’s really developmental,” he said, noting the evolution of his routine from a few short jokes over three years ago to a set of 60 to 70 minutes’ worth of material.  

Ternus believes passionately in the local comedy scene’s potential, urging community engagement. “Grand Forks is funny,” he asserts, pointing out the need for public support to sustain and grow the comedy scene.  

Eilts, a Prevention and Education Specialist at the Community Violence Intervention Center (CVIC), finds comedy a meaningful outlet to release tension from his work. Eilts and Ternus ventured into comedy after attending an open mic night together, feeling like they could contribute their humor. “We thought we were funny enough; we had enough material; we thought we would be very good at it,” Eilts shared. His comedy often reflects on personal experiences and family dynamics, displaying a unique ability to find humor in life’s challenges. Eilts encourages newcomers to comedy, emphasizing the supportive community and the opportunity to discover hidden talents.  

Piekarski stands out in the Grand Forks comedy scene, not only for her humor but as one of the few women carving a space for female voices in the local stand-up comedy scene. With a fresh perspective and relatable material, Piekarski is quickly becoming a known figure in the scene, having been the opening act for a local band during the St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun Loop at Half Brothers.   

Piekarski’s venture into comedy started with the encouragement of friends and the welcoming environment of the Archives’ open mic nights. “I think there’s more than enough space for women in this,” Piekarski stated, advocating for female empowerment in comedy. Her comedic style often draws from current events and personal anecdotes.  

Her progression as a comedian is self-driven. Piekarski cites the stand-up podcast Kill Tony as a significant source of inspiration and learning. “I do write my own jokes, and most of them are just based on real-life experiences,” she shares, highlighting her growth from a comedy novice to an anticipated performer.  

Piekarski’s material often touches on women’s rights and feminism, providing laughter and thoughtful commentary on societal issues. She encourages more women to step into comedy and stresses the inclusive community in Grand Forks. As one of the few women in the local scene, Piekarski states, “it’s a supportive ecosystem here for both women and men alike.”  

Without giving too much away, Piekarski teases her audience with clever observations, such as a memorable line inspired by the Barbie movie, humorously discussing the coexistence of logic and emotion between men and women.  

The Open Mic Comedy Night at Archives has become a cornerstone of the local comedy scene, offering a space for comedians to grow and audiences to enjoy diverse humor. The success of these events and the dedication of comedians like Ternus, Eilts, and Piekarski reflect the vibrant cultural dynamics of Grand Forks. “Grand Forks is funny,” Ternus remarked, stressing the importance of supporting local comedy. “As a community, if you don’t support it, it disappears.”  

The comedy scene’s growth culminates in the upcoming “Happy Hour” event on June 1 at the Empire Arts Center. The trio and other comedians will be featured in the upcoming event. This stand-up comedy fundraiser, set to run from 7 p.m. to approximately 9:30 p.m., includes a cash bar and is recommended for audiences 18 and older. The money raised goes toward local arts initiatives. The event is unique as all performers will have their sets professionally recorded, providing them with footage for promotional use on platforms like TikTok and Spotify.   

“Happy Hour” promises to be a pivotal moment for local comedians. It will mark a step from open mics to a larger stage, with their performances captured for broader distribution. This event displays local talent and supports the arts scene in Grand Forks, reinforcing the community’s role in nurturing the arts.  

Initiatives like the upcoming “Happy Hour” fundraiser are continuing to evolve the local comedy scene. This highlights the talent within the community and the potential for comedy to connect and uplift. As the scene grows, more individuals, whether performers or audience members, will have the opportunity to explore comedy within the city.  

For those interested in participating in or attending future events, local comedians suggest staying connected through social media and community resources to discover opportunities to engage in Grand Forks.  

Tickets and additional information on “Happy Hour” can be found on the Empire Arts Center’s website. 

Davíd Moreno is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at daví[email protected].