Spring 2024 UND RecSports Registration

As the Spring 1 regular seasons are ending, playoffs are starting next week for Badminton, Basketball, Curling, Hockey, and Pickleball. It is important to look forward to the numerous RecSports offerings that the University of North Dakota’s program offers for the remainder of the semester during the Spring 2 session.  

RecSports is designated for students, faculty, and staff who are part of the UND community to have fun and play different sports in a safe and competitive environment. These sports offerings can be broken down into four seasons, two per semester: Fall 1 and 2 and Spring 1 and 2. Registration for the sports offered during Spring 2 opens on Feb. 19 and closes March 1. Additional details regarding registration can be found at the Universities website under the Wellness Center section. 

There are currently five differing sports offerings for this upcoming season, four of which take place directly on campus at the Wellness Center.  

The first being Volleyball, in which teams comprised of six players compete on the indoor courts at the Wellness Center and is currently one of the most popular RecSports that are offered at UND. Games are officiated by certified RecSports referees and are played in a best of three set format. The first two sets are out of 21 points, and the third if needed is out of 15.  

The second sports offering is Cornhole, all games will take place at the Wellness Center and teams will be comprised of two players following the traditional rules of the lawn game.  

The third sport is Indoor Soccer, more commonly known as Futsal. This 6 v. 6 version of soccer will take place at the wellness center’s MAC court and is to be played across two 20-minute halves. Just like volleyball, indoor soccer games are also officiated by certified RecSports referees to maintain the integrity of the matches. 

The fourth and newest addition to UND RecSports sports offerings for this upcoming spring season is “Life Size Pong.” The game consists of six buckets being placed on either side of a court in a triangle formation with the aim of the game being to remove all your opposition’s buckets following traditional cup pong rules.  

Alongside the four sport offerings at the Wellness Center, bowling is also an option this year. Teams of two players will bowl competitively at the Red Ray Lanes bowling alley twice a week, and the league winner will be decided by total pinfall at the end of the season.  

Whether you are seeking a competitive outlet or are looking for another way to get more involved within the UND community, challenge a group of your friends to join you in getting involved with RecSports this upcoming spring season. 

Daniel Silva is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at [email protected].