The Rise of Letterboxd

Processed with VSCO with m5 preset

In 2011, two film enthusiasts from New Zealand banded together to create Letterboxd. Letterboxd is described simply as “a social platform for sharing your taste in film,” as said on their website. Since 2011, the platform has grown wildly as it has gained millions of fans. 

Letterboxd is both a website and an app, where users can create profiles showcasing their favorite films, as well as their “diary” of what they have recently watched. Users can also create lists of films, which are collections of films that fall under a certain category. Some famous lists include “Films you have to watch before you die” or “Films to watch in your 20’s.” However, one of the most popular aspects of the Letterboxd platform is the reviews. Thousands upon thousands of users are a part of Letterboxd solely to share praise and criticisms for films. Even esteemed film critics find themselves on the platform, sharing their thoughts on whatever films are making their way to audiences. 

During the Covid-19 pandemic, Letterboxd served as a vessel to draw attention to film while theatres were shut down across the world; while theatres suffered, film fanatics took to Letterboxd to find and review films from home. New York Times reported on the platform’s popularity across the pandemic, saying, “In 2020… the site’s growth was explosive. Letterboxd has seen its user base nearly double since the beginning of the pandemic.” Even amidst a global shutdown, people across the world found a way to share and expand their interest in film through connecting with the Letterboxd online community.  

It has been in recent years, however, that Letterboxd has gained a significant following on its social medias. The Letterboxd TikTok account has over 300k followers, while their Instagram account has almost 800k followers. Much of their content includes interviews with different influential faces of film, including directors, crew members, and actors. Some of their most popular videos include asking famous actors, such as Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, their four favorite films. The platform’s online content has helped develop their following and increase their presence in the film industry. 

From actors to film critics to casual moviegoers, anyone can find a place in the Letterboxd community. Whether you use the site to create reviews of your own or read them or use the site to track the films you have watched or want to watch, the site’s multifaceted features are helpful to anyone interested in movies.  

It’s impossible to deny that the future of Letterboxd is bright. As the world continues to connect through online platforms, Letterboxd continues to serve as the revolutionary platform that allowed film lovers a space to share, interact, and associate with one another in a way never seen before.  

Ava Stockstad is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].