Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Football Season Wrap Up

Garrett Webber

The UND football season ended this past weekend with a loss at home in the first round of the FCS playoffs to Sacramento State. 

Now that the season is over, let’s take some time to look back on the 2023 Fighting Hawks football team. 

Here were the three best moments of the season: 

1. Wyatt Pedigo’s forced fumble and recovery against South Dakota.

The score was 7-0 in UND’s favor late in the first half. A South Dakota receiver was on his way to tie the game when Wyatt Pedigo (Jr.) came in at the last second. Pedigo not only ripped the ball from his grasp but recovered the ball in the endzone, saving a touchdown. The Hawks were able to kick a field goal before the end of the half. 

1. Quincy Vaughn’s game winning touchdown reception against Indiana State.

After a long-fought game against the Indiana State Sycamores, the Hawks had the ball in overtime. A touchdown wins the game for UND. Bo Belquist (Sr.) motioned across the backfield, and the Hawks ran a play action to suck in the Sycamore defense. All the while, Quincy Vaughn (Sr.) ran a perfect corner route, finding the soft spot in the secondary for the game winning touchdown. 

1. Luke Skokna’s opening kickoff return against North Dakota State University.

UND hadn’t beaten the Bison since George Bush was in his first term as U.S. President. This year felt different though. The Alerus Center was packed, and UND fans were ready to finally dethrone their instate rival after years of ridicule and taunts from the Bison faithful. Luke Skokna (Sr.) was back deep in the endzone to return the opening kick, looking to get off to a hot start. Skokna would do just that. Luke Skokna would take the ball untouched to the other endzone, reaching a top speed of 20.9 mph. The Alerus was ready to explode. Fans couldn’t hear themselves think. The Hawks went on to rout the Bison 49-24. 

The Hawks finished with a record of 7-5, going 5-3 in the MVFC. 

Quarterback Tommy Schuster (Sr.) put together one of the best seasons of his career at UND, completing 206 of his 292 passes (70.5%) for 2,238 yards. Schuster’s completion percentage ranked fifth in the nation. The senior signal caller threw for 19 touchdowns and only five interceptions all year, ending with a passer rating of 153.0. 

Gaven Ziebarth (So.) led the UND backfield in carries, yards, and rushing touchdowns for the season. Ziebarth had 107 carries on the season for 700 yards and nine touchdowns. 

Isaiah Smith (Jr.) got his fair share of touches this season, turning 95 carries into 594 yards and two scores. Ziebarth and Smith had nearly identical yards per carry. 

Luke Skokna was handed the ball 57 times, racking up 267 yards and three touchdowns. 

The Quincy Vaughn quarterback sneak proved effective throughout the season, with Vaughn turning 22 carries into 26 yards and seven touchdowns. 

Vaughn was converted to a tight end before the season began, and he found a way to contribute in that role. The Toronto native caught eight passes for 66 yards and two touchdowns. 

Bo Belquist dominated the Grand Forks skies this fall, hauling in 65 receptions for 760 yards and six touchdowns. 

Wesley Eliodor (5th) and Red Wilson (Sr.) played complimentary roles to Belquist this season, both catching 22 passes. Eliodor turned in 282 yards and three scores, with Wilson adding 236 yards. 

Wyatt Pedigo and Malachi McNeal (So.) led the UND defense in tackles, combining for 137 between the two of them. 

Pedigo led the team in sacks with 4. Pedigo was also able to recover four fumbles on the season, forcing two of them. 

CJ Elrichs (Fr.) was perfect on the year for PAT’s, making all 33 of his attempts. Elrichs made four of his six field goal attempts. 

Here are some awards to wrap up this year’s football season. 

Offensive MVP: Bo Belquist 

Defensive MVP: Wyatt Pedigo 

Special Teams MVP: Luke Skokna 

Lineman of the Year: Donny Ventrilli (5th) 

Best Newcomer: Jeffrey Griffin Jr. (5th) 

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at [email protected]