Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UND Football Finishes Strong

UND Football Finishes Strong
Garrett Webber

Both the University of North Dakota and the Illinois State Redbirds came into Saturday’s bout at 6-4, hoping to keep their playoff hopes alive. Only one would hear its name called in the FCS Selection Show on Sunday. 

The UND offense struggled to start the game, going three-and-out in both of its first two drives. Thanks to two missed Redbird kicks, UND only trailed 6-0 at the end of the first quarter.  

After its first two drives, offensive coordinator Danny Freund decided to take it back to the basics with his side of the ball. UND ran the ball 10 consecutive times on its third drive and got on the board with a CJ Elrichs (Rs. Fr.) field goal to make it 6-3. 

UND took the momentum from its offense and forced a punt on the ensuing Redbird drive.  

After marching down the field on the ground, UND was able to find some success through the air. After Tommy Schuster (Sr.) completed back-to-back passes to Bo Belquist (Sr.) and Wesley Eliodor (5th), UND was set up right outside the redzone.  

The Hawks would not be denied this time, with Gaven Ziebarth (So.) finishing the drive with a 9-yard touchdown run.  

Illinois State was able to kick a field goal near the end of the quarter, and UND led 10-9 at halftime. 

The Redbirds got the ball to start the final 30 minutes of play and found themselves in a 4th and 2 outside of the redzone. ISU handed the ball to its bell-cow back, Mason Blakemore, who would be stuffed by the UND defense.  

The Fighting Hawks continued to play complimentary football, with one side of the ball feeding off the other. Schuster’s offense would go on an 11-play, 77-yard touchdown drive ending with Max Gunderson’s (Jr.) first career touchdown reception. 

After a failed 2-point attempt, the Hawks led 16-9. 

In the fourth quarter, the Redbirds put together a touchdown drive of their own. CJ Siegel (5th) was able to block the PAT, helping UND maintain a 16-15 lead.  

Needing a sustained drive, UND came up short and was forced to punt back to ISU, who looked to take the lead.  

The Redbirds were able to do just that, scoring a touchdown with just under five minutes left to play, taking a 21-16 lead. 

With the season in the balance, Schuster and the offense would deliver. The Hawks put together a methodical, 11-play, 76-yard drive ending with another Ziebarth touchdown run with under 30 seconds left in the game.  

The UND defense was able to prevent a miracle, giving UND a 22-21 victory over ISU. 

Schuster completed 14 of his 22 passes for 169-yards. Schuster also threw one touchdown, along with one interception. 

Ziebarth had 74-yards on 16 carries, turning two of those into touchdowns. Isaiah Smith added 45-yards on 12 carries. 

Belquist hauled in eight of the team’s 14 total receptions, turning in 72-yards through the air. Wesley Eliodor had a 32-yard catch, and Gunderson caught a touchdown pass. 

With the win, UND finishes the regular season at 7-4 overall and 5-3 in conference play. That was enough to qualify for the FCS Playoffs, with the Hawks getting a home playoff game against Sacramento State.  

The first-round matchup will take place in the Alerus Center on Saturday, Nov 25 at noon; the South Dakota Coyotes will be awaiting the winner of Saturday’s matchup. 

Garrett Webber is a Dakota Student General Reporter. He can be reached at [email protected]