Faces of the Industry: A Look into the Generations of Women in Aviation Panel

Sadie Blace

The University of North Dakota is known globally for its distinguished aviation program, providing quality flight education that is built from the ground up. The most recent event within the aerospace college was the “Faces of the Industry: Discussions in Aviation Diversity” event. This student led event allowed student diversity groups including OBAP, NGPA, WAI, LPA and PAPA to host discussions regarding topics of diversity, equity and inclusion within the aviation industry. While attending the “Generations of Women in Aviation” discussion panel, there were a couple of other panels, including “All Angles of the Industry,” and a student panel, “Future of Diversity in the Industry.” Each attendee-speaker discussion had multiple panelists, including aviation professionals from all aspects of aviation, and from all kinds of backgrounds.  

The “Generations of Women in Aviation” panel had 6 panelists. Each panelist was a woman with a completely different aviation background. Two moderators, Julianne Lore and Averie Eixenberger, both members of UND’s chapter of Women in Aviation, asked the panelists questions regarding their aviation backgrounds. Panelists included Kit Warfield, Jill Kost, Margit McKee, Kyoko Kimura, Monique Gonzalez, and Laurel Johnson. A few of the panelists were airline pilots, one was a retired seaplane pilot, one was a retired Air Traffic Controller, and one was a certified flight instructor. Each woman brought experience, wisdom, and knowledge to the panel, answering questions that were curated by the moderators. Some of the questions included, “How do you manage to balance work and home” and “How have you overcome adversity in a male dominated field?” Laurel Johnson, who is better known by Lo, explained how she gained confidence working in the aviation industry. She started by saying aviation is her third career path that she has traversed in her life thus far. Johnson was the second black woman to graduate from the aviation program at The Ohio State University ever, providing hope for other people and women of color to do the same. Johnson gained confidence throughout her journey to the airlines by writing affirmations and repeating them to herself. She told a story of how her mentor told her to stand in a “super-man” pose in the mirror for a minute every day to build confidence and strength. Lo said, “though it feels silly, I promise it works.”  

Overcoming adversity was perhaps the most talked about question. Females make up around 10% of airline pilots, with the majority being male. Kit Warfield, a retired seaplane instructor from Seattle, had perhaps one of the most moving stories. Warfield spoke of a friend that she knew from her time with Seattle Seaplanes. Her friend, described by Warfield as short in stature, was a contract pilot, and would often be hired to fly groups of individuals from point A to point B. Upon beginning a normal flight, Warfield’s friend was challenged by one of her male customers saying, “If she is the pilot of my plane, I am not getting on the plane,” to which she answered, “Well, then it seems like you are not going.” Warfield then spoke on the importance of advocating for yourself as a female pilot, as a minority in the industry. Many other women on the panel had similar experiences and spoke on the importance of advocacy for oneself.  

While these are just some of the discussions that took place throughout the panel, there were a series of other well written questions that perfectly encapsulated being a female in the industry. Jill Kost, a captain on the Boeing 767 for United Airlines and a check pilot, explained that perhaps one of the best parts of being a female in the industry is the immense support from each other. Kost spoke of United’s female Facebook group, where female pilots can discuss products, brands, and uniforms. They can provide support for one another, create ideas, and ask questions. Kost explains that creating safe spaces such as these are extremely crucial to success in the aviation industry.  

Being able to witness the Generations of Women in Aviation panel was insightful and informative. By holding discussions involving diversity, equity, and inclusion, we as a University hope to broaden our lenses, creating a safe space for all to learn, succeed and grow.  

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].