Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Greta Van Fleet Starcatcher Album Review

Sadie Blace

On July 21st of this summer, a trending band named Greta Van Fleet released their latest album, Starcatcher. Greta Van Fleet, known for their heavy rock roots and lead singer’s uncanny resemblance to Robert Plant, is one of the greatest rock bands of our time. The band infuses inspirations from Led Zeppelin and various other monumental 70’s, 80’s and 90’s rock bands, while also creating their own musically historic pathway. Upon its release, Starcatcher quickly secured a spot on the US Billboard’s top 10, where they sold 46,000 album equivalent units within the first week of release.  

Most of my exposure to the band was through their previous album, The Battle at Garden’s Gate. I found the band through social media, finding snippets of their Saturday Night Live performance on various platforms. I was immediately struck by the lead singer, Josh Kiszka’s range. The lead singer is known for his multiple octave range and distinctive style and can captivate audiences of all ages with his talent. In addition to his range, the band’s lead singer also has great depth and intonation. All these vocal skills are displayed in the Starcatcher album. The album was written to paint the picture of boys growing into men, while also paying a tribute to those who came before them in the music industry. The band’s guitarist and lead singers’ brother, Jake Kiszka, explained in an interview that a lot of the songs on the Starcatcher album were recorded in the first take. By doing so, the band reflected on their roots, while playing with new music styles and a new depth of lyrical meaning. The band’s most popular song, “Meeting the Master,” quickly gained attention for its mysterious, hidden message. The song mentions reaching a higher place, by “meeting the master.” While this line is sung many times, it is never disclosed who exactly it is about. By doing this, the band leaves the lyrics open for interpretation. It is left to the listener to decide who the master really is. In this same article, this tactic is compared to Led Zeppelin’s, “Stairway to Heaven.”  Both songs create room to reflect, think, and relate, which is one of the greatest skills a lyricist can master. Greta Van Fleet possesses many components of bands that have changed the history of rock and roll, while also adding their own distinctive signature.  

Shortly after the album’s release, Greta Van Fleet released tour dates for their world tour. Among the many stops, St. Paul, Minnesota. This was the closest stop to my house, and so naturally, I had to attend to witness the band’s impact on the world of music. The show lasted around 3 hours, consisting of mostly songs from the Starcatcher album. One of the most memorable parts of the show was the guitar and drum solos, accompanied by Josh Kiszka improvising with a wide range of vocal trills and tuts. The band has a way of captivating an audience in a way that I have never experienced. During the periodic instrumental improvisation sessions, there were no known lyrics for the crowd to sing. Yet, every person in the Xcel Energy Center, young and old, stood to admire the bands raw, undeniable talent.  

Greta Van Fleet is changing rock and roll music as we know it today. The band’s Starcatcher tour and album were ones that complimented their natural and developed skills. I encourage you to listen to the band to witness their natural talent and passion.  

Sadie Blace is a Dakota Student General Reporter. She can be reached at [email protected].