UND Tennis Starts Strong

Men and women’s tennis took to the road this past weekend

Madison Overby, Sports Editor

UND tennis kicked off their seasons this weekend in two tournaments in the Midwest. The
men’s tennis team headed to Des Moines, Iowa to compete in the Drake Invitational and the
women traveled to Minneapolis, Minn. to take on the Gopher Invitational.
Seven teams traveled to Minneapolis for the invite: Iowa, Iowa State, North Dakota, Drake,
Northern Iowa, Milwaukee and Green Bay.
The University of Minnesota showed their dominance of the Gopher Invitational right off the
bat on Friday evening. Their players went 18-0 for the day.
Freshman Nina Zdravkovic and senior Kaede Amano were almost able to crush that streak in R2
Doubles but came up just short. They ended up edged out in a tiebreaker against Gophers
Tiffany Huber and River Hart, losing 7-6.
Tournament play in Minneapolis continued Saturday morning where UND was again unable to
come out on top. In R2 Doubles, freshman Charlotte Bowles and senior Alex Revenig came up
just short to a pair of Gophers, losing 7-6 in similar fashion to Zdravkovic and Amano the night
before.
The men saw more success at the Drake Invitational. They were one of nine teams: Wichita
State, Northern Illinois, Creighton, Omaha, Northwest Missouri State, Washington University,
Gustavus Adolphus and Drake.
On Friday night, the freshman from Norway, Andrea Petrovic beat Bor Muzar of NIU to advance
in the A Singles bracket. He was defeated by Abdoul Ouattara of UNO on Saturday. However, he
continued his run in the doubles bracket with teammate senior Lukas Buth. They advanced in
the A Doubles bracket after taking on a pair from Northwest Missouri State.
Sophomore Edmond Aynejian took on Louis Compas of Northwest Missouri State and won to
advance in the B Singles tournament and play again on Saturday. Aynejian came away with a
second win on Saturday against David Nyman of Drake University.

Finally, junior Jake Kuhlman and Aynedjian competed in the C Doubles tournament and won
their first round against a pair from Gustavus Adolphus.
This weekend marked the first tournament of both tennis teams’ non-championship part of
their season. They will each play two more tournaments before a hiatus between October and
January, which is when the championship season will start.
On Sept. 27, the men and women will both compete at the Bluejay Invitational in Omaha, Neb.
which is hosted by Creighton University.
The non-championship season will wrap up as the teams travel to Denver, Colo. for the ITA
Regional Championship. The entire tournament runs from Wednesday Oct. 16 through Sunday,
Oct. 20.
This non-championship season is very typical for UND tennis, as this schedule has been the
same three tournaments for the past three years. Success on the men’s side this early on will
surely give UND a leg-up when it comes to the Summit League conference play.