Golfer makes history

SUCCESS: North Dakota freshman shines in Montana Tournament earlier this week.

The UND women’s golf team had a successful third place finish at the Grizzly Invitational  Monday and Tuesday in Missoula, Mont.

The team finished in third place out of six teams. Montana hosted the tournament, taking first place with a 56-stroke difference. Montana State took second just eight strokes ahead of North Dakota.

In fourth was Alabama-Birmingham who was just two strokes behind UND. Fifth place was taken by Rocky Mountain College, just two strokes behind UAB, while  Carroll College was last.

UND came off a second place finish at the Concordia College tournament last week where it finished just behind NDSU.

Dani DelGreco, one of three freshmen on the team, stepped up big and led the team in individual score for North Dakota. DelGreco, who is from Grand Rapids, Minn., tied for fifth overall in individual score, which was a big help to UND’s overall team score and bumped it up to the third place position before the tournament ended.

“Dani had a phemomenal tournament, especially for a freshman,” UND coach Natalie Martinson said. “She played really well, and this is the type of competition we are going to face in the Big Sky Conference, so this experience will bode well for not only her, but our entire team.”

DelGreco’s teammates were not far behind her, with sophomore Sadie Martin coming in tied for 13th overall. Fellow freshman Alexis Guggisberg came in 21st. Sophomore Emma Kishel was right behind her in 22nd, and Junior Mikayla Kromy was 25th.

DelGreco also made it into UND’s history books when she shot an even-71 par to tie for fifth place in the final round. In UND’s five years at the Division I level, it is the lowest score in a single round for a UND women’s golfer. DelGreco also helped the team break a tie tit had with Rocky Mountain College and helped UND pass UAB.

With its first two road tournaments finished, North Dakota will look to head home and keep up its momentum of high placing finishes.

UND will be at home next week as it hosts its own tournament, the North Dakota Fall Classic which will be held Sept. 16th and Sept. 17th at King’s Walk Golf Course. It will be a 54-hole event.

Once the team finishes up that tournament, it will be head back out on the road once again for two more tournaments in South Dakota and Florida.

After those tournaments are completed, UND will be done for the season until March when it will start back up for more tournaments.

Mariah Holland is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected].