Lots to do on campus

As the spring semester comes to a close in May, students are both excited and terrified. Many are excited for the semester to be over but terrified because this signals the approach of finals week -— or weeks if you’re extra unfortunate.

While studying is an important part of the college experience, it’s also important to give yourself a break and take time to recharge or pay attention to other things. There are some fun and interesting things going on around campus that you can check out on your own or with some friends to give your eyes a break from your books and laptop.

Japan Culture Night

When: Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

Where: Memorial Union Loading Dock

Do you like Japanese cuisine or Japan in general? Do you want to know more about Japan or just want free food and a show? Check out this event for dinner,  presentations and performances on Japanese culture. If you’re one of those anime nerds, you’ll especially like this event and you could probably dress up like a Pokémon or one of those Naruto things and they wouldn’t care.

Free Document Shredding Day

When: Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Memorial Union

If you need to get rid of some super-secret documents or just want to take out your anger by destroying old assignments, textbooks that no one wants to buy from you or pictures of people you hate, then you should go to this event. You could try to set these things on fire, but that’s bad for the environment and shredding things feels much more satisfying anyway.

Friday Soup: Chili Day

When: Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Where: American Indian Center, Room 116

Do you like chili? Do you want to eat some chili for free because you’re sick of eating pizza and ramen noodles? Are you too poor to buy anything besides pizza or ramen noodles and your parents won’t send you chicken nuggets in the mail? Don’t worry because this event is here for you. If you’re a vegetarian or vegan, don’t worry because they have options for you too.

The Big Event

When: Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Meet at the Wellness Center

If you you want to give back to the community by picking up trash outside, painting, washing windows or caring for old people and kids, then you should do this. Your mom would be proud of you, and you can brag about it.

International TableTop Day

When: Saturday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Where: The Ember in the large meeting room (8 N. Third St.)

This event is all about board games, from popular games such as Clue to games that you’ll never win such as Settlers of Catan. You can bring your own board or card games as well.

Alisabeth Otto is a staff writer for The Dakota Student. She can be reached at [email protected]